• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is stored in an AI file besides the art?

Contributor ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have files hat consist basically of a large grid, with artwork laid out on it. The artwork is all stored in symbols, and one instance of each is placed on the grid.

After some minor correction to one symbol and addition of a few new ones, I noticed that the size of the AI file had decreased from 340 MB to 220 MB. I extracted all the symbols from both collections to separate files. These files were all of similar sizes (but never exactly the same)

So what could be stored in over 100 MB of seemingly redundant file space?

TOPICS
Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

ICC profiles, PDF version, Brushes, Swatches, Symbols, Graphic Styles, a Preview.

There is an action "Delete Unused Panel Items" in the default actions that makes the files smaller.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ICC profiles, PDF version, Brushes, Swatches, Symbols, Graphic Styles, a Preview.

There is an action "Delete Unused Panel Items" in the default actions that makes the files smaller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

many thanks for your response. I will try the Delete you mentioned next time.

I still doubt that any of the items you show could create a 100MB difference in size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A lot of gradient swatches could add a lot. As well, the PDF portion of the files has embedded copies of any image which when moved to a new file will be dropped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines