• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What should be correct path location for Plugin .aip files for Adobe illustrator for Mac & Windows ?

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of now there are two locations where we can place plugins .aip file for Adobe Illustrator in MAC.
E.g.
First path => /Applications/Adobe Illustrator 2020/Plug-ins.localized/AIHostAdapter.aip
Second path => 

/Users/{username}/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator 24/en_US/Plug-ins/AIHostAdapter.aip

If we put aip file at boh the locations than Adobe Illustrator provide a pop up messgae for conflicting plugins and it will skip loading plugins from user Plug-ins folder.(Refer Attached Image#1)

So what should be correct path for plug-ins aip file and what should have been followed industry wise ?
Need to know path prefrence for above menitoned issue in windows as well ?

Note:This have been observed been multiple version of Illustrator.

Image #1
c4a82109-1f49-4aba-965c-e238985a0aa7.png

TOPICS
Scripting , Third party plugins , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

I know this is 3 years old, but I just stumbled over it: When trying to add plugins to Illustrator 2023, I had to put the additonal plugin into /Applications/Adobe Illustrator 2023/Plug-ins.localized

A normal Plug-ins Folder was not there and when I made it, it was not detected by Illustrator.

The good point is that it detects symbolic links, so I do not have to copy the plugins to that folder.

However, is there a way to make the path Version-Independent, like it is in Photoshop (where the folder

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mukesh,

Thanks for reaching out. Any 3rd party plugin should be placed in the following locations:
1. Windows : C: \ Program files \ Adobe Illustrator (your version number) \ Plug-ins \ Extensions.

2. macOS: Applications\ Adobe Illustrator 2020\Plug-ins

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh:

Thanks for update.
This will surely help.

--
Mukesh Bishnoi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows shouldn't the path be as this:

C: \ Program files \ Adobe \ Adobe Illustrator (your version number) \ Plug-ins \ Extensions

instead of 

C: \ Program files \ Adobe Illustrator (your version number) \ Plug-ins \ Extensions

?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, when we put aip file on below location we have illustrator architecture in folder name and we place file accordingly (As we have different aip file for x32 and x64):
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 23 Settings\en_US\x32\Plug-ins\AIHostAdapter.aip

But as you have mention we should place aip file to below folder, which is same for both x32 and x64 then how will things work in this case(Which aip file we use x32/x64 or should we place only one as per installed illustrator architecture)?
C:\Program files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 23\Plug-ins\Extensions\AIHostAdaptor.aip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue on Windows 8.1 

@mukeshbishnoi

Kindly assist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which issue are you experiencing?

Can you please show a screenshot of the error message?

Do you have third party plugins installed?

Which version of Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this is 3 years old, but I just stumbled over it: When trying to add plugins to Illustrator 2023, I had to put the additonal plugin into /Applications/Adobe Illustrator 2023/Plug-ins.localized

A normal Plug-ins Folder was not there and when I made it, it was not detected by Illustrator.

The good point is that it detects symbolic links, so I do not have to copy the plugins to that folder.

However, is there a way to make the path Version-Independent, like it is in Photoshop (where the folder is /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins)? Otherwise, the user has to do the reinstallion every year.

Using the "Additional plugin-folder" in "Settings" is not an option, because there it is only possible to set 1(!) additional folder an I do not want ot mess up with other 3rd-Party plugins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines