• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What style of illustration is this?

Participant ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this style of illustration have a name? the kind you see on a 80's horror novel. 

https://www.behance.net/gallery/58467973/Butcher-Billys-Stranger-Tales-The-Second-Season

I'm trying to find resources on how to create this style and any would be helpful, thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Film noir in my opinion

Best

E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know that it has a name per se. It's similar to film noir (that's more 1940s and 50s). I'd say this is a 1980s pulp fiction style, a term coined to depict somewhat racy, cheaply produced magazines. But the pulp fiction era dates back to the 1950s. As the designer Butcher Billy says, this style derived from 1980s pop culture as seen in comic books, movies, and games.

The black background style is a mix of grunge, paint splatter, and punk looks. You can find a matching font using "Stranger Tales" since the A, N, E, and R are distinctive. Search for tutorials on how to make long shadow text effects and spooky outline effects in Photoshop or Illustrator using layer styles. Hope that's helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a variety of styles to me, but focused around 70s style comic book covers:

http://ivanlandia1.blogspot.com/2012/11/some-old-school-1970s-horror-comic-book.html

(I didn't want to post the art directly.)

Pulp magazine practically told an entire story on the front cover--that is, it was more than a simple logo-type illustration. 

pulp magazine cover art at DuckDuckGo

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Those 70s covers are great, Dave. I like the label, “chilling picto-fiction” lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines