When exporting from Illustrator to PSD, resulting file has enormous resolution

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a 6,000px x 6,000px artboard in Illustrator and exported to PSD at 240ppi. These are the exact specs I know I'll want to print at. But when I open my resulting file in Photoshop it's 23,798px x 21,143px (240ppi).

I see that one of the issues is the export is not respecting the artboard boundaries and is not cropping some of the objects that extend somewhat further beyond it. 

This issue aside, my question is why the resulting file is so large. I can't even figure out the rationale for the PSD dimensions — as far as I can tell it is not some discernible multiple of 6,000px.

Thanks for any pointers.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021
If you want to limit the export to your artboard size, check the Use Artboards checkbox when exporting. If you want to keep your pixel dimensions, use 72 ppi when exporting, choosing 240 will have the same effect as resampling an image in Photoshop from 72 to 240 ppi.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

winston,

As far as I can see, it ought to be 20,000 px x 20,000 px in total size.

Is your export based on the Artboard (have you selected Use Artboards in the Export dialog box)?

In any case the Artboard ought to be contained within whole pixel values (such as starting at X=Y=0.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to limit the export to your artboard size, check the Use Artboards checkbox when exporting.

If you want to keep your pixel dimensions, use 72 ppi when exporting, choosing 240 will have the same effect as resampling an image in Photoshop from 72 to 240 ppi.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense because I'm just noticing that the resulting pixel dimensions were around 3.33x as large as my 6,000px x 6,000px artboard.

240/72 = 3.33

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, which would result in 20,000 px x 20,000 px as Jacob said.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines