• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When uniting shapes, strokes off set creating a bump in the newly created object

Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't get them to line up uniformly. When I hit unite in pathfinder, it also creates a bump. I'm sure this is a very common problem, and I'm hoping it's one of those that requires a simple solution like modify a preference. Learning this for my students to help them. Thank you. line up points.PNG

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like your original doesn't line up, so if that isn't correct before you unite them then it will be incorrect in the united version. What does the 2 shapes look like when you preview in outline view? do the 2 corners match up exactly to start with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In outline mode, you can't get them to line up. It always forces my line over to the right or to the left. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't get them to line up, maybe some Snap To option is preventing that (Grid, Pixel).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say you "can't get them to line up uniformly", what is preventing you achieving that?

Is this a stroke or something outlined?

Are you using smart guides?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just shapes with a stroke applied. Smart guides is checked. The strokes is applied the same to both shapes. When you try to line the strokes up though, they just won't. Smart guides is helpful, so I would imagine you could still do this even with smart guides on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the move tool, when you try to move it to the line, it sort of jumps. It gets close, but doesn't line up exactly, making it slightly offset. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is align to pixels turned on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines