• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is pdf info outiside of artboards?

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I did something stupid. I was working in an .ai file on multiple artboards. I saved as a pdf to see what it looked like. Then I went back to working in it and made changes on the outside of the artboards and hit save and close without realizing it was still in .pdf and not in .ai

My question is: Is there a way to get that text back that I had outside of the artboards?

When I open the the pdf it only opens each individual page and doesnt have any of the info that was on the outside of the artboards.

Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Yes.

What's outside the artboard only gets saved in the AI part of the file. Not in the PDF part.

But in your case the AI part is lost. Either you never saved it or the file got corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is if you remove the disabled Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities in the Save PDF option dialog box:

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 6.59.08 AM.png

If you choose it, you can find your artwork that is outside your artboard. But if you disabled it unfortunately you can't get the missed data outside the artboard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding to me! I did indeed preserve editing capabilities, but opening the pdf back into illustrator doesnt show the work I did outside of of the artboard. So I feel the information is still in the file I just dont know how to access it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any warning when you open the file?

Are you opening it in the same Illustrator version it has been created in?

Are you sure you didn't save a PDF/X of some sort?

The file might also be corrupted.

Where did you save it?

From where do you open it?

Did you send it via e-mail?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No warnings.

Opening it in the same Illustrator CC as created in

Saved it to the desktop

File is not corrupted.

PDF.jpg

I can even see it in Illustrator's recent work. The RED is the artboards and the TEAL is the info I need outside of the artboards. But when each page is opened in Illustrator there is no work outside of the artboards. (Don't mind the file tittle its a pun on flat design and earth)

To my understanding, PDFs only save the work that is on the artboards. Anything else around it is lost.

I'm hoping I can be proved wrong though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how Illustrator saves files:

How Illustrator saves files - YouTube

When files get corrupted, the AI content might get affected. So only the PDF content is lost.

You might want to consider a backup strategy. It looks like your file just got lost.

What is inside the layers panel? Lots of clipping masks?

The preview icon is just a bitmap that Windows saves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at your Youtube video, this is how I can relate what I did:

I basically saved a pdf of the zebra on the outside of the artboard. And I want to get the zebra back, but when I open the file I only get what was on the artboard. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

What's outside the artboard only gets saved in the AI part of the file. Not in the PDF part.

But in your case the AI part is lost. Either you never saved it or the file got corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That's all I wanted to reaffirm. That I can't get it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it such a tease that you can see it in the thumbnail. i just did the same thing 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I had this problem too and my work is gone.

Isn't this an illustrator bug?
Why not give a warning when saving?

I use 2018 version. Has this problem been fixed in newer versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines