• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White border appears around the exported jpeg file

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm making seamless patterns that I print on fabrics. When I export file as jpeg from Illustrator, and then open the jpeg in Photoshop, a pixel wide border appears around the image, or it is rather that the outermost pixel around the image is faded. Then my pattern isn't seamless anymore. I need to have a jpeg file to send to the fabrics printing company. How can I get rid of the light border around the image? It doesn't matter whether I choose anti-aliasing or not, the border is still there.

TOPICS
Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

I just discovered this problem may be because the number of objects that I use is far more than usual, so that makes a little lag in the illustrator. but I have found a solution, I am also a pattern design maker so I drag the file to Photoshop and export the file there. and magical! no white lines on the edges.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your pattern tile size contain fractional pixel values?

Do you export a single pattern tile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your idea, I did have fractional pixel values. Unfortunately, it didn't help to change that. Yes, I export a single pattern tile, and then test the seamlessness of the pattern by putting four tiles next to eachother in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try this:

In Illustrator set your units to pixels or points.

Your art and artboard should not contain fractional pixels (points).

Check your Rulers, are they Global rulers?

Check the Artboard options; are the top left X/Y coordinates whole numbers (no fractions)

Select and check the art, are the width and height whole numbers, are the upper left X/Y coordinates  whole numbers?

Export the artboard at 72 ppi or a multiple thereof (144, 216, 288).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At which resolution do you export? Other than 72 will almost always have this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika, not having real world experience with patterns on fabrics, how it can be solved or worked around?

Saving in Ai, as .ai or .pdf and placing in Photoshop, and export from there to jpg? ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set up your file in the pixel dimensons you need. Set your artboard to whole pixels

Align stuff on the edges to whole pixel (resp overlap the artboard bounds).

Export at 72 ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for answering, but I don't really understand what you mean by "set up your file in the pixel dimensions you need"? I have an illustrator document (15x15 cm) with vector objects. What I need is a jpeg, 15x15 cm in 200 dpi. If I were to send a file in 72 dpi to the fabrics company, they would shrink my image until it became 200 dpi. I tried exporting the image in 72 dpi. The light borders are still there and the image is really blurry and lost its details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the artboard aligned to the pixel grid? If it isn't you'll get white borders.

As for the resolution thing: when you export at a different resolution than72 ppi, Illustrator will do a resamplig which will produce white picels. You can just calculate how many pixels those 15 cm at 200 ppi will need to be and then set up a document in exactly these dimensions.

And no, when you deliver that to the company they will just need to set a different resolution and no need to resample. At least when they know what they're doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Illustrator CC, but there isn't any box to tick under Transform, so I don't know how to align my artboard to the pixel grid.

Regarding the resolution, thanks, I'll try to set up that kind of Illustrator document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just need to read the numbers.

Set the origin to upper left and then every number need to be a whole number instead of a decimal. (with units set to pixels, of course)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting your artwork as jpeg, in the export dialog box located beneath the file formats, select "use artboards" then click the Export button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!!!!! Wish I read that hours ago! I hope something wonderful happens for you tomorrow! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your answer also solved a problem I had. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have been using illustrator for patterns for many years, I have never had this problem before. Ever since I installed ai 2020, I am having the same problem when exporting a JPG file.  Did you find a solution to this problem?  Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Try the solution in the post below by gerrief64829707. Another solution is to export the file as tif from Illustrator, and then open and save it as jpeg in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered this problem may be because the number of objects that I use is far more than usual, so that makes a little lag in the illustrator. but I have found a solution, I am also a pattern design maker so I drag the file to Photoshop and export the file there. and magical! no white lines on the edges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, your solution works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue too! I was able to solve it by changing 'anti-aliasing' to None. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 years later and the problem's still there. Thank you for the tip, it worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved for me too! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!! This was driving me crazy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone find a solution? I have the same issue when exporting blocks of solid colour.

I then have to open each block in photoshop and draw over the white border lines... Pretty damn time consumming when doing it to 100s of images.

I like the export seeting in .ai as i can export 1x 2x 3x etc..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines