Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White Outlines Around Font When Exporting

Contributor ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community,

I made a graphic where a script font weaves in and out of a blocky serif font.

Process:

I converted the block text to outlines, then added the script font on top and converted it to outlines as well. I ungrouped and selected everything, and used the "Divide" function in the Pathfinder window.

As you can see, everything looks ideal in Illustrator. However, when I export to .pdf or even .png, you can see tiny white outlines around the sections that were "divided". 

Is there some trick within the export to prevent it from doing this?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

You could try if selecting all black objects and Unite them helps.

Or Rasterize them in Illustrator before exporting to an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marley,

I for one can see neither of the attached files.

Can you post them directly using the Insert Photos button at the top of the reply box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

That's strange. They are shown as attachments under my post. Not sure why you can't see them.

MarleyC_0-1647370741351.png

But I'm glad to also attach them here in this comment! Capture_No Outlines in Illustrator.JPGCapture_Outlines on PDF.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try if selecting all black objects and Unite them helps.

Or Rasterize them in Illustrator before exporting to an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU Ton!!! 

This was exactly what I needed.

I selected all the black elements and united them via pathfinder. Worked like a charm!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marley,

Depending on the actual appearance/combination of the fonts, I believe there can be more suitable ways than Divide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

If you have more suitable ways that don't produce the result that is the reason I posted, I would be tremendously helpful if you elaborated on exactly what those methods were.

Thanks in Advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marley,

With the Unite solution from Ton, there is less/no need for other ways.

But in a simple case as the one shown where the cutout/knockout part in front of the block letter ends at straight sides on the latter, with Smart Guides being your friends you can:

1) With the Pen Tool Click at the intersections between block letter and script text, first on one side then on the other to from two straight paths;

2) Lock the block text and select each of the new paths and Object>Path>Divide Objects Below; this will cut your script text in three;

3) Select the middle script text path above the block letter and delete it, then Group the remaining parts of the script text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marley,

Or for more general cases, such as those where the sides of the block letters are curved, you can simply cut the script text on either side of the block letter, then Drag the middle path down beneath the block letter in the stacking order in the expanded Layers panel. The script letter paths above and beneath the block letter will by flush. This is a very old way used for decades in cases like celtic knots.

Or in the same cases you can copy the block letter to the front and use that (or a part cut out of it such as the upper part of the leg in the case shown, the lower part of the leg is to go in front so it must be excluded) as one path and then with only the script text unlocked Object>Path>Divide Objects Below to obtain the same as in the previous post.

All those ways can be used for each block letter (part) that the script text is to go behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines