• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why am I having to ungroup for eyedropper tool or selecting a swatch to apply color now?

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had to ungroup objects to get the eye dropper tool to apply selected attributes to an object.

This no longer works without ungrouping objects.

I have never had to ungroup objects to change the color of an object selecting a color from swatches.

This no longer works without ungrouping objects.

These issues have started this past week and it's driving me crazy. I have not changed anything to my knowledge. Ideas?

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 1.21.12 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-11-18 at 1.16.57 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-11-18 at 1.38.53 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Looks solved in 22.1

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm having the problem in v26.5 and have been having it for a while now, finally got frustrated to google to see if I could find a solution. Adobe: I've been using Illustrator for over 30 years now, and am used to the workflow that allows you to sample attributes from an item with the eyedropper and apply it to a whole group. This behaviour changed a while ago for some ungodly reason and I wish you'd fix it and make it work like it always has again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it work when you press shift while clicking on the color with the eyedropper?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does! That's very helpful, thank you. Do you know if there's a preference or something to make it behave like it used to, without having to press the shift key? I wonder why they changed that behaviour? Maddening. Thank you for showing me a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no preference for it.

Also I don't know why it changed from a former behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a setting I'm missing. Pressing shift does not work for me at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem in 12/2022. I really need them to fix this bug it absolutely demolishes my productivity. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the exact same problem with 24.3 and MacOS Catalina. I don't have this problem on my work computer but on my personal one. Tried installing an older version of Illustrator but the problem continued and it seems like this has already been an issue for years now. It is extremely annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am also having this issue.  why is this marked as solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THis thread is 4 years old. It seems to have been solved and then not.

If you want to report it, please go over there: http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More specifically here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/35249575-eyedropper-doe...

Although Adobe doesn't seem to be addressing this issue that is now over 5 years old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why has this been marked as solved? I am still having this issue and nothing I do resolves it. If items are grouped and I try to use the eyedropper tool, nothing happens. The color in the properties panel changes, but the color of the object does not reflect this change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6 years later and no fix. Now on Version 27.7 and still this bug exists.

Have tried uninstalling, clearing cache, holding shift when selecting colour with eyedropper etc you name it i've tried it with no results. Ungrouping objects that contain multiple objects is a pain and time consuming, only other option is to create every colour I want as a swatch and selecting from the swatches panel - which again, is time consuming. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pressing shift while picking up the color with the eyedropper does not help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unofrtunately not, I have had it work once or twice but then reverts back to not working again - very unusual. No changes to appearance or workspace so can only conclude it is an error/glitch of some sort

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the layers panel view that shows how your artwork is organized and tell us exactly what you want to pick up from exactly where.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have grouped the white boxes together and attempted to re-colour these (using eyedropper tool) as the tan coloured brush stroke. As shown, the boxes are appearing recoloured as the tan colour on left side of image fill colour - although remaining white on artboard. Have atatnpted the shift hold and non-shift hold with eyedropper tool. All objects within ARTWORK layer.

David31286123mi4d_0-1690298146718.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please expand those layers by clicking on the triangle. We can't see the file structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have expanded as shown:

David31286123mi4d_0-1690299248925.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The group already has a complex appearance applied (as can be seen in the target symbol in the Layers panel). So you are probably just adding to that. You can check what's happening in the Appearance panel (and also get rid of that appearance there).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see any unusual appearance applied here - am I missing something? (probably) Used eyedropper again to turn the boxes black (shown on fill, left hand side) but still white with no appearance applied

David31286123mi4d_0-1690357172521.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A group should not have its own fills or strokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem persisted. 2 solutions:
a) make your group a compound path , and recolouring works 
b) open your appearance panel, and make sure you drag the Fill layer ABOVE the stroke layer. Everything works fine after that!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pressing shift did not work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines