• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are my fonts not smooth after Envelope Distort?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After creating the word GHETTO with 'collegiate heavy outline font', and shaping it with the help of Envelope Distort, I noticed that the outlines are not straight but jagged. The jagged outlines also came out in the print.

I've tried googling for a solution and have tried several things to no avail. The attachment is the artwork I'm talking about, Hoping that someone here can offer some help, I'll be very grateful.

Regards,

Effendy

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

In the Appearance panel, it shows that you applied a Rasterize effect, which makes it an image.

Just delete the effect or turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your distort is not perfectly aligned, so your horizontal lines are not straight while at the same time the angle they are at is so small, they simply produce bad antialaiasing/ dithering patterns. This is a perfectly normal thing. You would have to expand the artwork and fix your crooked lines or simply accept it. There are simply technical limits to how this can be handled.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would you recommend I fix the crooked lines? I'm quite a noob here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG. I created the word GHETTO using the pencil tool and all the lines are crooked. Something is very wrong here. The print out is also equally bad. Why do I suddenly have this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Appearance panel, it shows that you applied a Rasterize effect, which makes it an image.

Just delete the effect or turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you're right. It's unfortunate that i have saved it as an image. But thanks for your answer 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if you still have the Illustrator file, you can just turn the effect off (and resave the image).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Ton 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your artwork looks perfectly smooth when zoomed in.

A higher resolution (display/printer) will give a better result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if pixel snap and the font type might impact the result.

As a rule, I never trust what shows on the screen, too many things will not show you the true result

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines