Why are my pencil lines filling in when the fill is off

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

 

10AFA23C-C3EF-4069-BECD-ABCD95BA7A2B.jpeg

 

93462E78-AF67-4DC9-B750-D920572F44E2.jpeg

 

Hey, hoping someone can help 🙂

I'm manipulating font and I've added a few pencil lines coming off the letters. The stroke is black and the fill is off. When I go to unite the lines & letters to make one shape, the pencil lines fills themselves in & change the fill to black, when I need the letters to be filled but the pencil lines to stay stroke only

Even when I don't try to unite them and just try to change the colour, the pencil line's get filled in. I don't understand why this is happening and am unsure how to get it to stop, I want the lines to stay looking the same. Someone help!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

If you want to unite the lines with the letter(s), you need to first expand the strokes: Object > Path > Outline stroke

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show the expanded layers panel with the line selected?

(and please use the screen capture of your system instead of taking a picture with your camera).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this?

I'm very new to illustator so still trying to get my head around everythingScreenshot_20230214_090327.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks, that looks fine.

As you can see, the selected object does not show a fill. If you group it with the the A it should be fine.

I think the linesthat give you trouble are part of a compound path/group.

You can try to cut the lines, paste them back and group them with the letter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've grouped the line to the A, united it with the path finder and it's still done the same thing.

All of the lines coming off the letters are serparate to the letters, they aren't apart of the letters. The only letter that it doesn't seem to effect is the line coming off the end A, however there's nothing different with this line compared to the others so I'm still unsure of why this is happening.Screenshot_20230214_092807.pngScreenshot_20230214_093035.pngScreenshot_20230214_093425.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why use the Pathfinder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was following a video and it said after you manipulate the font, use the pathfinder to unite it all into one shape rather than all the lines being seperate. Because I need to copy and paste the logo onto different designs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to unite the lines with the letter(s), you need to first expand the strokes: Object > Path > Outline stroke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thankyou so much this has worked now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines