• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are some objects not converting from Illustrator to CAD?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies if I am missing the obvious, I am new to both AutoCAD and Illustrator. I have drawn up a design in Illustrator to be converted into .dwg to be used in AutoCAD. These designs were drawn using the pen tool and then expanded, all elements of the design (aside from a logo which has not been an issue) were drawn and converted in this same way. However, after conversion there are three lines in the illustration that have repeatedly failed to convert and do not show up in the drawing. I have checked that they are expanded in the same way, I have copied them into other parts of the design in the hopes of moving them back later, I drew them in the exact same way as the rest of the converted design but they disappear the moment I go from Illustrator to .dwg, I was wondering if there were any other parameters I should be checking?

Thank you for your time.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Hi, you should try to make shapes complete objects maybe that will fix the problem try it I mean no open faces shapes for the parts which are not showing..regards

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Hi, I would just like to thank thank @lambiloon and @Mylenium for your comments because the lines are finally crossing over! Each piece had it's own issue, I did connect the ears using a rectangle and shape builder (still confused as to how that worked when the ear was already expanded as an object, but thank you for the suggestion @lambiloon). The nose had a stray point somewhere in the red which whene deleted finally allowed it to copy over. The laptop I believe I copied over from a separate f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, check the video hope it helps you...regards

https://youtu.be/HODpzWGpjpU

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lambiloon, I really appreciate the reply especially as I have found limited resources on this problem! However, the video itself still doesn't address my issue. Some parts of my design simply aren't copying over to the CAD file, I have tried moving them and converting them separately but these parts are simply refusing to convert. Again, thank you so much for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For context, here is the image in Illustrator vs AutoCAD. The missing sections are in green and blue (obviously colours changed after, I know it's unlikley to make a difference but at this point I just don't know anymore). The laptop has appeared now when copied into a different section, but the version of the main laptop with the cat has not, and neither has the ears or nose when copied into the same place. There is a logo on the laptop that I have removed for anonymity, this has been traced and expanded and appears well in the CAD version, I am unsure if this makes a difference beut give how close it is to the problem area it seemed worthe mentioning,
Example.PNG

Example02.PNG

Illustrator Left, AutoCAD Right. Missing ear, nose and laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you should try to make shapes complete objects maybe that will fix the problem try it I mean no open faces shapes for the parts which are not showing..regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you actually tried with other colors? Looks like your alterante colors get interpreted as guides or other auxiliary info. that and of course you may need to put them on separate layers.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I would just like to thank thank @lambiloon and @Mylenium for your comments because the lines are finally crossing over! Each piece had it's own issue, I did connect the ears using a rectangle and shape builder (still confused as to how that worked when the ear was already expanded as an object, but thank you for the suggestion @lambiloon). The nose had a stray point somewhere in the red which whene deleted finally allowed it to copy over. The laptop I believe I copied over from a separate file when it began to appear again, I will admit after 20 exports I may have lost track on exactly what changes I made. I also took @Mylenium 's advice of putting the problem areas on a separate layer and turning them back to red, I did this first so while I can't be sure if it made a difference it seems a worthwhile check.

Again, thank you both for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Welcome we are here to help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines