• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does HTTP from Illustrator plugins sometimes get blocked?

Engaged ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've written several plugins that use HTTP to check for updates and to activate licenses, but sometimes the POST or GET fails. The problem is usually a firewall or HTTP blocker that needs to be turned off, but sometimes it seems nothing helps. It happens most often with Windows, but sometimes happens with Macs as well.

Is there anything I can suggest to my users to get around whatever is blocking it? One user sent me a list of steps he found to enable it in Norton LifeLock. As I understand it, the Windows firewall can be configured to allow certain incoming HTTP, but in this case, the plugin's HTTP never reaches the licensing server.

Is there anything I can do in my pugin to improve HTTP reliability? What's really confusing is that plugins that once activated normally can stop communicating and the user swears that nothing in their system has changed, yet other third-party plugins work just fine. I wonder if certain ISPs block it, but emails from my domain get through just fine. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks -- Rick

TOPICS
SDK , Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you actually monitored the traffic with Wireshark or a similar tool? That might aleready explain some of the stuff. Otherwise there's probably no good way otehr than sifting through thousands of logs. A simple header rewrite on a router or proxy can cause packets to be rejected, but that's impossible to know without extensive tracing.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mylenium, that should help narrow the problem down. I can't reproduce the problem here, so I'll have to wait until it happens to a user who's comfortable running Wireshark. I appreciate the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A friend saw this post and contacted me directly with some helpful information. It's still a mystery, but there are more clues to consider.

• The Windows firewall will only block Illustrator if it's explicitely set to do so.
  • CORE seems to use OpenSSL, and Wireshark shows TCP and encrypted TLS packets, not HTTP requests.
  • If a user can successfully ping the server that the plugin is trying to communicate with, from their computer, then the problem is a local (probably firewall) issue.

Perhaps someday someone will stumble upon this post and offer a simple solution for at least some situations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines