• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Illustrator create a prn file instead of printing my document?

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just recently when trying to print a file through illustrator it will only export a .prn file. I've tried updating and unistalling and reinstalling the app with no change. I looked a another forum that says to uncheck "print to file" in the advanced settings in the print menue. However I have searched all through the settings and haven't found an otion for that. Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is really agrivating.

I've attached a couple of screenshots to illustrate what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can other apps print to that same printer without problem?

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can print from the standard picture preview on the computer and from a browser. However I just tried photoshop and I'm getting the same .prn file option. Which is odd because I tested photoshop right after I discovered the problem with illustrator and it worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your printer drivers?

A .prn coming from Illustrator is generally due to a print driver error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @lauraw33777866,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I hope the suggestions shared by Kevin helped resolve the problem. If not, kindly try resetting Illustrator's preferences by following the steps shared in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-preference-issues.html) and check if it helps.
Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with the defaults. You may take a backup of these settings from the location mentioned in the article.

Also, try running Illustrator under a different administrator account and share your observations.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines