• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does my $7k M1 Max MBP run worse than my 2013 Trash Can MacPro with Illustrator?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a 6 month delay my new laptop is here. I saved up and maxed out everything on it - 64GB RAM, M1 Max chip and 8TB drive. Not only am I dealing with FreeSync issues and my external displays always defaulting to variable refresh rates every time I log in, my nice Benq monitors flicker and swap which is the primary. Even worse, Illustrator runs like an old tired dog on files that are under 300mb. I have optimized hardware, I’m not running other programs and everything is up to date. My old MacPro handled things about the same if not better than this new machine.

Anyone  have any insight or tips for making Illustrator run more efficiently/faster with this new(ish) hardware? This was literally the entire point of my upgrade…

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @MindeeDziuba,

Sorry to hear about this experience and for the late response. I hope the problem is resolved by now. If not, kindly try resetting Illustrator's preferences by following the steps shared in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-preference-issues.html) and sharing your observations.
Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with the defaults. You may take a backup of these settings from the location mentioned in the article.

Also, try running Illustrator under the root user account and check if it makes a difference,

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same here. The metal native port of Illustrator sucks. 😢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines