• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why global swatches change to spot color when added to library. Is this a bug?

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created global swatches of process color and added it to a library. When i use those swatches from the library, even in the document from wich they were created, they appear as spot colors. I've seen some other posts with similar issues but none of them had the answer. I mean, this seems to be a bug not yet solutioned.

In this discussion CC Library Color switching from Process to Spot  someone uses Indesign to fix it, but this comes in common swatch and not global.

Is this a bug? Is there any other solution to this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

samuelo67104815  wrote

I have created global swatches of process color and added it to a library. When i use those swatches from the library, even in the document from wich they were created, they appear as spot colors. I've seen some other posts with similar issues but none of them had the answer. I mean, this seems to be a bug not yet solutioned.

It's a bug, see:

Global Process Colors get added twice when added from a CC library, lose their name and become Spot colors. – Adobe Illu…

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think soem of the problem is the new libraries in AI. 

The old way of using CMYK definitions with absolute values is not there anymore..

All changed in CS5.5 when Pantone+ arrived.  These are new color libraries and have spot color swatch definitions only in Lab.

Earlier libraries had CMYK values.

Till CS6, Adobe shipped both the sets, but in CC they removed it as part of our partnership agreement with Pantone.

The workaround,( which they do not recommend, but some users do use). Is to use replace newer libraries with older ones from CS5 or earlier, and change the setting of Swatches Panel > Flyout > Spot Color.. to use CMYK values.

This would have to be done in startup profiles, so that new documents use this setting. This workaround is complex and must be done with care.

Is this helping?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the issues of the agreement, but I'd still want to give it a try.

Just switching to use CMYK values in spot colors didn´t work out.

I have some doubts with your answer.

I don't have older libraries, i am trying to create new ones.

What do you mean with "startup profiles"? I'd have to create a new profile to Adobe Cloud?

Did i missed anything in your explanation?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will explain it further in few hours when we am back from work!

Ha g I. There might have an answer also send me your e mail will send you

resources

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 05:54 samuelo67104815 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok

Private information removed by Admin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Adobe is working on it now! it is a known glitch that CC libraries do not support it!

I hope they fix it soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok

Let's hope they can fix it.

Until then i'm changing manually to Global process.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And don't forget to vote for the bug, more votes will increase the speed at which they will be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They promised to work on it!!!

Chana

From my CLOUD to YOURS

310.980.1583ACE/ACI/ACP/UGM/AEL

Chana Messer

about.me/chana.messer

<http://about.me/chana.messer>

@chanam

http://www.chanamesser.com

http://chanamesser.myportfolio.com/ <http://chanaart.prosite.com/>

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 1:42 PM, samuelo67104815 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug is marked as "Under Review"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

samuelo67104815  wrote

It's a bug, see:

Global Process Colors get added twice when added from a CC library, lose their name and become Spot ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After investigation it is a bug. I sent it to the Illustrator Pre Release. Lets hope we can solve it soon!

Lots of colors problems!!!

I just change it to Global process when I get it...for now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug persists in 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And has been Under Review for 2 1/2 years

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still a daily problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, still a problem in 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very frustrating problem... still...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess what, even in 2022. ^^ That's how I ended up here today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Ton!

How would you activate the Global checkbox on every swatch using an illustrator script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

August 2022, and this has still not been fixed. Just landed here, because I have the same issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

February 2024 and this is STILL A PROBLEM!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @lynara,

Thanks for your patience, and sorry for the delayed response. At this time, Libraries do not support Global Colors.

As a workaround, you can create Process colors in Illustrator and add it to CC libraries – deselect the global checkbox.

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been a problem since 2017. 

Global colors, Spot colors, gradients, brushes and pattern swatches are not very well supported in CC libraries.

But as a workaround you can drag an object using a brush/pattern/gradient/global color to the CC Library

You can also drag multiple items using different brushes/patterns/gradients/global/spot colors together into a CC library to simulate a library. Text objects must be grouped before adding them as graphics.

The easiest way to add them to a new document is to hold down the Alt key when you drag them from the library and place them in a new document. The patterns/gradients/global colors automatically get added to your swatches panel.

You can hit escape before you click to place the object(s) or delete the dragged library items because the swatches and brushes are now part of the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ton. The workaround is good. It is just surprising to me that this is still a problem for so many years. I'm building a library to share with colleagues, and I have encountered many small issues, but they really add up! It isn't a very intuitive tool, which is really unfortunate, because it has so much potential. Thank you for being so active on the forums; I've gotten a lot of good workarounds from reading your advice to others. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines