• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why is a font showing in the list with a *

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased Bromello & downloaded it like any other font. It appears on the list of fonts but it has an * beside it & it wont work.

How do I uninstall a font to reinstall & would this help.?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Illustrator version? Which system? Exactly how did you install the font? Did you create the file on the same system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Illustrator2021 on windows 10 Home version 20H2.

I didnt create the file but  the file tells me it was created on illustratorCS5.1.

I have discovered I had purchased Bromello in a package in 2016 but it looks differnt to what I purchased yesterday.

There must be a conflict somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's an old font? Probably not an OTF font?

It might not be cross system compatible.

Which micht lead to this issue if the file has been created on a Mac.

Also if the file is not an AIfile, but a PDF you are importing.

Basically: just apply the font you have installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it show up in the list of fonts when no documents are open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes without the * & is listed as Bromello Regular. As soon as I open the logo it lists it as Bromello* & illustrator sayas the font is missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have certain other programs running on your computer while using Illustrator? I only ask because I have a couple of type families that will have weights strangely become unavailable within Illustrator if I happen to have CorelDRAW open. I have seen the asterisk thing next to the font name when this happens. And the 2020 and 2021 versions of CorelDRAW have their own font table issues. For instance, some typefaces will only show the Italic version in the font menu, but you can click off the Italic button on the tool bar to get the upright version. I have one type super family I frequently use in which none of the bold-upright weights work in that application at all.

Generally it would be a good idea to check on any font manager software you might possibly be using (and see if there are any updates). Another thing to check is to see if there are any technical updates for commercial fonts you have bought. Type foundries do release updates occasionally. Sites like MyFonts will often keep track of your purchase history and make technical updates available to download (usually for free). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou for your reply. No I dont have any other programs open. 

The original Bromello I bought in a package was from FontBundles & I bought again yesterday through MyFonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible the version of Bromello you had originally and the one the client was using were two different file versions, perhaps with slightly different computer file names. Some foundries will release multiple versions of the same typeface, such as a "standard" version with a basic character set and a "pro" version with more features. So that's another possible source for conflict. Very often in order to avoid font substitution issues an Illustrator document with active type objects requires the exact same font files and font format versions of those files to be installed. That can be a real pain when dealing with certain typefaces produced by multiple firms. I have several different versions of Futura, including the new variable "Now" version. None of them are exactly the same. Usually when I "finalize" any of my sign designs I convert any active lettering to outlines and just keep a record of what I used on that project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Bobby,

That is good information. I will remember that in the future regarding different font releases. What a pain.

It certainly would have saved me a problem if the person who made the logo had converted the text to outlines.

I thought that was standard practise but obviously not. I am an embroiderer not a sign maker.

The logo is being used on the back of sublimated polos so I do need the eps.file to be right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, it's a logo?

And you have an AI file of it?

What you can try: create a new file. Place the logo in it (don't embed, but link it)

Object > Flatten transparency (check "Outline text")

If the file has been saved with "PDF compatiblity", then this should work. ANd since the creator forgot the outline the text, they most probably also didn't uncheck the default "PDF compatible" when saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used the Flatten Transparency trick many times to convert embedded fonts within customer provided PDF files to outlines. It's one of the more handy things Illustrator can do. In the Flatten Transparency dialog box there is a check box "Convert All Text to Outlines." I'm not sure if it affects anything, but I shift the Raster/Vector Balance slider in the top of the dialog box all the way to 100 on the vector side. Also I usually leave the options checked to Convert All Strokes to Outlines and Clip Complex Regions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The raster-vector slider doesn't matter for converting text (it surely matters for other things)

But the checkbox needs to be checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines