• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is center alignment so unpredictable?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is center alignment so unpredictable?

Has any one figured out why center aligment only works 1/2 the time?  When I used often I fing elements seem to jump all over the place with no ryhm or reason.   

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Feature request , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

could you post a screenshot or a short video? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After selecting the objects you want to center-align, click again on the object you want to stay in place, to designate it as the "key object". When you click center-align button, all the other objects will align on the key object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @defaultukwwuionfxf0,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I hope the suggestions shared by John helped resolve the problem. If not, kindly share a screen recording of the problem so we can investigate this further.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2022 Aug 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will share next time I run into it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean for artboard? Yeah, mine hasn't worked reliably for a long while, I just do the math. There seems to be one rogue element in every doc that won't do what everyone else is doing. I've spent way too long trying to work out what it is and given up - i thought inadvertently locked to a hidden guide was a winner for a while, but nope... weird thing is if I cut and paste into a new doc it behaves, but paste it back it won't... fortunately one of the least annoying things to worry about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes art board.   some time it works other times it moves outside the art board.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

then sometimes when I export svg the items jumps to a different position

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this might be over simplifying your question -- sorry if it is.

Are you using the "distribute" alignment?

Is the alignment set to "align to artboard"? (as opposed to "align to selection" or "align to key object"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the alignment near the distrubute options.  but not specifically the distrubute 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you are having some weird GPU issue, features tend to work or don't work. There may be an issue of how the objects are selected. (All the alignment features are working correctly on my systems.)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

weird... it used to work like a charm before the last upgrade and I have been using illustratoir for 20+ years.   But It seems the latest adobe release has lots of bugs...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree there are bugs, but this is one I have yet to experience since the upgrade. It is just happening sometimes? That is the strange part - I find when something doesn't work, it just doesn't work! But more and more, I do use align to key object, as @John Mensinger suggested. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines