Will I lose any functionality if I save an ai-file as pdf and the save the pdf as ai?

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if my title is confusing. Because of the issue of not being able to export to pdf (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/328...) I’m trying to figure out a workaround. What I’m thinking of doing is creating an Action which first saves an opened ai-file to pdf. Since the pdf is now open but I would like to keep the ai-file open, the Action would then save the pdf as an ai-file (saving over the original ai-file).

Given that the pdf is saved with “Illustrator Editing Capabilities” will I lose any functionality or editability in the ai-file?

I have gotten the Action to work and as far as I can tell there is no loss in functionality. If any of this seems flawed please let me know.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you keep the PDF settings to Illustrator Default with Illustrator Editing Capabilites on and not another PDF preset, you will not lose any functionality.

Kevin Stohlmeyer
Adobe Community Professional/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines