• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Window and panels moving when Mac goes to sleep

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac Mini M1 with 16GB and Big Sur 11.2.3, and am up to date on my Creative Cloud updates. About 25-30% of the time, when the computer goes to sleep, Illustrator will drop down about 1/5 of the way down the screen, as if I clicked the title bar and dragged it down the screen. When this happens, some of my panels will move around as well and I have to reset my workspace. Also, the grey space around the artboard shimmers when I move my cursor and the little popup window urging me to click and learn more about new features will have the font size reduced about 60%. All this happens with both Illustrator and Photoshop (the only Adobe apps I use regularly.) I usually end up quitting and restarting the program, and resetting my workspace. Oddly, all this doesn't happen EVERY time the computer sleeps, but it does happen fairly often, and is very annoying. 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to share that the product team has resolved this issue in version 28.1. I've personally tested it and couldn't replicate the problem. Would you all mind installing this version from the CCDA and informing us if it resolves the issue on your end?

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 289 Replies 289
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might add, this only happens with Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop, none of the many other programs I have open at any particular time when the computer sleeps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of display do you have connected to the Mac mini? Do you use the "Default for display" resolution setting or one of the custom scalings? Do you have any window managers installed (Display Maid, etc)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My display is an LG HDR 4K (27UK850). I'm using a scaled display setting. No window managers.

Thank you for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact thing happens to me and I am up to date on everything. I have the same computer with M1 chip and Big Sur 11.3.1 on a BenQ 4-K monitor. Mostly everytime my mac wakes up the tool palets have all moved and the art board is moved entirely down about half the distance from my screen. I have contacted Adobe Support which is a joke as I have been hung up on at least 11 times and mysterously disconnected when they can not answer the question. As I move my pointer it shimmers and switches from the Adobe pointer to the Mac Finder pointer or from pointer to text tool curser and it is very distruptive and this is how I make my living so I deal with it 12 hours some days.

This happens in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustraton. I am constantly having to quit everything and restart and even shutdown the mac all the way and wait for a minute and Adobe told me that is what I have to do. THIS is what I am paying for with my expensive monthly subscription?? I have wasted over 23 hours dealing with this and trying to get a senior advisor on the phone and promised callback but none yet. I get tossed from one agent to another saying this is for a different department. It feels like they run interferiance because they cant or wont get someone on the phone to resolve issues when I have paid for this service with my monthly subscription. Treat your customers right Adobe.

I have blurred the file names in the attachments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Display Maid can help with remembering window positioning on the larger external screen, that's what I use. You can download a Demo from the developer's website.

In regards to the flickering / shimmering issue, I have the same problem. I think it is being caused by a combination of custom resolution applied under the Display Settings preferences in macOS and / or the UI / Cursor Scaling in Adobe Illustrator. Unchecking "Scale Cursor Proportionately" should relieve some of your issues as well as choosing the smallest UI scale, as it is the default setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a solution? I'm ahving the same issue with the mac mini m1 and a benq PD3220U. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as an FYI, I updated Illustrator to 25.3.1, and the problems still persist. The Illustrator window still drops down the screen when the Mac goes to sleep, and the grey area outside the artboard twinkles. It's quite annoying. If I quit Illustrator and relaunch it, it works fine until the Mac goes to sleep again. BTW, this ONLY happens with Adobe products. Every other app I use regularly (Chrome, Discord, VLC, Music, Dropbox Passwords, etc) work just fine with no issues about the windows moving about after sleep. Crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same machine with same display, and exactly similar problem I face with only three softwares so far.  Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. Thanks for flagging this. So far no solution to this. I have iMac 27 inch also and never had this problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was so frustrated that I decided to buy a Mac Pro with all the second level upgrades except I got the standard graphics card. On the M-1, I had several more issues with graphics not displaying correctly in Illustrator and Indesign and several issues with Photoshop. It was a nightmare of problems crippling my work efficiency and I had financial loss because of it. If anyone tells you Adobe software is ready for the M-1 Mini, they are bold-face lying to you. (That is what a Mac sales person told me when I specifically asked—and so did several senior advisors at Adobe until after talking to about 11 different people, one honest senior advisor told me the truth.) I had numerous issues too long of a list to even put here. It hurt in a pandemic to buy a Mac Pro but the M-1 cost me loss of wages due to problems in two months, more than the total of the Mac Pro.  

My new Mac Pro has these issues when waking after sleep mode and I am running the latest updates on everything: 

Wont open some Indesign files from a year or two past, either interchange files, templates or just native Indesign. Same with Illustrator. Illustrator lags extremely slow and does not show some imported images correctly. Indesign is even worse, extremely slow to do anything, even scroll or select and even open the file. Once the file opens, the graphics imported do not display properly and if you select something or scroll, you are waiting 30-60 seconds for the machine to catch up. Sometimes the whole screen goes haywire showing something with bizzar colors and lines all over the place. No other issues tho, the windows and pallets stay where they are last put, but now it does not matter because I still can't put my computer to sleep. Instead I shut down every time and start up, then no problems and everything is fast.

Adobe cost me a lot of money, and so did Apple for that matter. For years they have not collaborated like professionals should and be sure the software works before releasing it, and a lot of other professionals relying on their products pay the price—and their unbelievable prices! They are charging ME a monthly subscription to beta test their software. (I would not complain about paying their price at all if I actually got a product that worked like advertised but when you are not getting what you pay for, you bet I will have words with them.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as an update, the M1 version of Illustrator still has the exact same issues. It's added a new bug too: when I first start up Illustrator in M1 mode, I get the expected pop-up message informing me that one of my plugins is incompatible and must be run under Rosetta if I want to use it (fine), but when I dismiss that window, Illustrator does not display. That is to say, I get no welcome screen, no tool bar, no list of recent documents, nothing. All I can see is the name "Illustrator" next to the Apple menu, and the various Illustrator menus. If I command-tab to another program, and then command-tab back to Illustrator, it still doesn't show up. (And actually, now I won't even see the name "Illustrator" as the active app, and won't see any menu items.) I literally have to go to the dock and click Illustrator's icon to make it show up on screen. This is just pitiful. It's bush league. It's the type of thing I would excuse from some indie developer, termporarily, but for a giant like Adobe, who charges so much for a subscription scheme, I really expect better.

Oh, and the "create new" dialog box is cut off. It's still useable, but the rightmost border cuts off the button and information on that side. 

Every other program I use seems to display just fine under M1. IT'S ONLY ADOBE PRODUCTS THAT ARE DISPLAYING POORLY AND MOVING WINDOWS RANDOMLY.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a new Mac Studio and new Mac Studio display since lauch day and have the same exact issues (both). the only workaround i have found for the flickering is to VIEW>VIEW USING CPU> and then immediatly change it back to >VIEW USING GPU and is resolves for a bit, but always goes back at some point, I have to refresh it several times daily. this is so beyong frustrating and YES this is an Adobe issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here after more than half a year. Mac Mini M1 @ 5k2k Dell 40" curved. Very annoying and very disruptive for your workflow if you always have to restart all used Adobe software after getting a coffee or taking a screen break, C'mon Adobe, we're paying enough for you to get someone on it to fix this crap. Any other company is able to have their program windows perform normally, why can't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any updates/solutions to this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not in my experience. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unbelievable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread started when macOS Big Sur 11.2 was the newest version of macOS.

I find that you want to run at least 11.4 for stability with Adobe Creative Cloud applications.

I'm currently running macOS 11.6 on my M1 Mac mini with a 34-inch LG Ultrawide display and Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Media Encoder, Audition, Animate, and very recently Dimension all run great. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using a Macbook Pro 14 M1 Pro with the lastest Monterey OS with a Benq PD3220U as external monitor and I am still having this issue with both photoshop and illustrator. I have the exact same issue with may Mac Mini M1 aslo running Monterey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So glad I found this thread, thought I was going mad.

Exact same issues for me. M1 Mini connected to LG 38WN95C-W and whenever the setup sleeps, Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop all drop down, no other apps or windows do this. I can also confirm that after waking, the active Illustrator window flickers when moving cursor. This goes away if you Shift F into presentation mode then esc out.

This is driving me nuts and it's clearly an Adobe issue.

Running Big Sur 11.6.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely an issue with external monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac mini m1 16GB, Mac OS 12.0.1 (Monterey), Display Acer EB321HQU 32-inch, Illustrator 26.0.1

All the same problems.

I don't use sleep mode, the errors occur when I turn off and on the display.

After turning on the display, the working window constantly goes down a bit (always) and sometimes the toolbars move to the upper left corner. The window back up is not a problem, but I have a lot of different toolbars configured for me, and move them all the time begins to be annoying.

At the moment the issues, I solved in the following way: if the gray area starts flickering, it is not necessary to restart Illustrator, just close the working file and open it anew. I usually have several files open and only the visible file has problems.

I reexpand the Illustrator window to full screen, and to put the toolbars back in their places it is enough to reset the current workspace (Windows > Workspace > Reset "current workspace") you can even put a keyboard shortcut to speed up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the flickering, when that happens to me, I just switch the preview from GPU to CPU and then back to GPU. That works too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about your experiences. I would request you all to try the following steps and let us know if it helps:

• Firstly, close all Adobe applications.
    Go to the following locations
    ~/Library/Caches
    ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
    ~/Library/Preferences
    Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings.old
  • Rename the CEP folder to CEP.old from the following location:
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe
  • Rename the UXP folder to UXP.old from the following locations:
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe
    ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
  • For Macbooks only - Change primary monitor from System Preferences (Display) and then restore the settings to the original. Steps are shared here.
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give it a go, but as stated this isn't only an illustrator issue. The same problem happens with indesign and photoshop too. After effects, medi encoder, acrobat are fine and the windows don't  move? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines