• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workspace Missing/Empty, Tools Missing On Start Up

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a recent update, Illustrator is missing all tools/toolbars/panels except the main menu toolbar (file, edit, etc.), doesn't save my workspaces (it sees that I have saved past ones), lost my previous workspaces and won't activate any of the built in workspaces. Since this update, I have had to manually turn on the toolbars, windows and tools I want to access every time I open Illustrator.

This is super frustrating and a gigantic waste of my time. I haven't been able to find any exact questions that have the same issue as me but I have seen other issues with workspaces.

I am using Illustrator CC, version 23.01 on Windows 10. I believe that this started after the v23 update.

So far I've uninstalled and reinstalled with no help. Anyone else with this issue able to resolve it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

I found this answer in another post and it worked for me!! 

"Open Ai, don't create a new file just click on the window tab> choose typography> then close Ai. Open Ai again then try creating a new file, then you can now choose your preferred workspace"

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022
  1. Close Illustrator
  2. Open Run by pressing "Win+R" and type "appdata" and click on enter key.
  3. Open Roaming from Appdata>Adobe>Rename Adobe IIlustrator and Adobe Illustrator 27 Settings folder to .old
  4. Start Illustrator now and check for the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! As roundabout as it sounds, this should be listed as the correct answer! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YUP! Thank you~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless you sir, it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a hero! Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're my hero! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using version 26.5 and typography doesn't seem to be an option in the windows menu anymore. I have "type" which expands into a sub menu, but typography isn't there either. Any updated suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, I relalized that you meant window tab > workspaces > typography. Tried that and it seems to have worked! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YESS! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!!! it working 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue but I found a nice easy fix... close illustrator, then simply remove your custom workspace files from, e.g. C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 25 Settings\en_US\x64\Workspaces, and save to your desktop, restart illustrator and open new file, then close illustartor, move your custom workspace files back, restart illustartor and everything should work as before!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2022, I'm experiencing the same problem. However, in 2022, when you go to Windows/Type there is now no Ai selection choice. This has happened to me before and drives me up the bloody wall. I could throttle Adobe sometimes. I've spent an hour searching online for a solution that shouldn't bloody occur in the first place. Such a waste of time, ahhhhhhh!!!

Is there a new solution to this age-old problem in 2022???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Illustrator since 1998, and workspaces ever since they emerged. 
I think I've lost all saved CC workspaces on every major update since 2017. 
If you can "save" it, then it shouldn't disappear, right? Maybe that's too much to ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's saved inside the preferences folder. That folder can get corrupted and then it will be re-created.

It's a good idea to make a backup of the preferences folder (as well as other settings) after you have adjusted everything to your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Close Illustrator
  2. Open Run by pressing "Win+R" and type "appdata" and click on enter key.
  3. Open Roaming from Appdata>Adobe>Rename Adobe IIlustrator and Adobe Illustrator 27 Settings folder to .old
  4. Start Illustrator now and check for the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to a new machine and all 2023 Adobe Cloud apps and had the same issue - every time I opened AI or InDesign, toolbar and palettes were “missing” (hidden and reappear once I hit tab) and when appeared, would be in the wrong place from my last placement. AI: I simply set all of my tools and pallets where I wanted them and Window > Workspace > New Workspace. Titled it and quit. So far, on reopen, all of my tools and palettes appear where I set them (sometimes they are hidden but when I hit tab - they at least appear in the “right” place). Same process worked for InDesign. Still feel it is a major glitch from Adobe and this is not a perfect solution but ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and it's driving me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mmrdesigner  schrieb:

I have the same issue and it's driving me crazy!

And the tips in this thread don't solve your issue?

If so, please give us the details of your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked:

(and I agree this is a major glitch from Adobe)

-------

Just updated to a new machine and all 2023 Adobe Cloud apps and had the same issue - every time I opened AI or InDesign, toolbar and palettes were “missing” (hidden and reappear once I hit tab) and when appeared, would be in the wrong place from my last placement. AI: I simply set all of my tools and pallets where I wanted them and Window > Workspace > New Workspace. Titled it and quit. So far, on reopen, all of my tools and palettes appear where I set them (sometimes they are hidden but when I hit tab - they at least appear in the “right” place). Same process worked for InDesign. Still feel it is a major glitch from Adobe and this is not a perfect solution but ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the bug has returned! 😞

please - how can we resolve this?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record and the moderators, this is not limited to Illustrator. The missing tools and toolbars is happening in Photoshop and InDesign also. Started for me in January. I'm guessing it's happening to folks still using Intel chips. (I'm on a 2019 iMac 27") Super annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! It happens in InDesign and Photoshop as well as Illustrator for me too! I'm on an M1 chip Mac Mini (late 2020). Adobe NEEDS TO RESOLVE THIS ASAP! I've had to "reset my workspaces" a dozen times already today. It's infuriating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mmrdesigner  schrieb:

Yes! It happens in InDesign and Photoshop as well as Illustrator for me too! I'm on an M1 chip Mac Mini (late 2020). Adobe NEEDS TO RESOLVE THIS ASAP! I've had to "reset my workspaces" a dozen times already today. It's infuriating.

Please contact Customer Care so they can take a look into it

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have contacted customer care – twice! The first time, the support person was soooo slow and obviously not understanding my issue, I had to bail. The second time, they wanted to install something so they had access to my computer. No thanks! Why can't I just report this issue to Adobe, like you can with Apple?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can report it. https://illustrator.uservoice.com

But itÄs not a general issue, so staff will need to be able to check out your system. If you don't want that, your only option is to commission an IT professional and have them solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL! "your only option is to commission an IT professional" - what great service!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines