Workspace reset vs external display

Explorer ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to somehow automate the workspace reset when an external monitor is connected?

Any script? Automator? (I am on OSX)

It would be nice if illustrator and other Adobe programs could detect monitor connection.
At this point, when disconnecting the laptop from the workstation, all the pallets are transferred to one display and remain so after connecting another display

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Stackola, I don't have a great answer for this question, so we can wait for a better one, but here's my situation and "solution" on the off-chance it could help.

1. I turn on the "Application Frame" (see Windows menu). This option annoyed me for many years and I refused to use it. But then I realised that it greatly simplified any changes (even automated OS changes) to the workspace—eg. suddenly connecting to a larger display, or suddenly removing that display—as all the workspace elements were contained and docked to a single window. So whenever I needed to, I could...

2. Resize the AI window to fit on the display I was using (this doesn't work without step 1), and ...

3. I have made step 2 into an immediate reflex by setting an expand-to-full-screen hot key using a window management app. I use "Mosaic" but there are many options.

So whenever the AI window doesn't fill the screen I hit that key combo and move on, without giving it a conscious thought. If you have multiple displays you may have to drag the AI window first to the other display before expanding, but that isn't my situation. Note this workflow applies to most apps I use.

- Mark

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines