• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does anyone know what the difference is between Illustrator Draw and Photoshop Sketch?

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm new to both apps and I'm trying to determine whether it would be worth it having both apps on my tablet. Does anyone use both, and if so, what situations are you using them for?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Hi,

The greatest distinction between them is that Draw is a vector drawing app and Sketch is a bitmap/raster drawing app. As a result the drawing tools are bit different as are the outcomes.

There are a lot of people who use both apps regularly; hopefully they'll weigh-in on this post.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The greatest distinction between them is that Draw is a vector drawing app and Sketch is a bitmap/raster drawing app. As a result the drawing tools are bit different as are the outcomes.

There are a lot of people who use both apps regularly; hopefully they'll weigh-in on this post.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use both apps. I think of Sketch as PS mini Photoshop for painting or sketching on my iPad, and Draw as mini Illustrator. I like Draw for creating simple graphics that I can send to Illustrator and add to more complex projects I am working on there. I actually prefer drawing with Sketch, than Draw because it has a more natural feel, and the files don't get overly complex. I work on an iPad 2, which is pretty old technology now. It doesn't support pressure sensitivity. Also Draw tends to crash a lot if the project gets too complex. If I had an iPad Pro, I bet I would use Draw a lot more. Von Glitschka has an excellent course for Adobe Draw on Lynda.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2016 Jun 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use both apps on an iPad Pro (12.9 inch) with an Apple Pencil. Both apps work amazingly. The pressure sensitivity is outstanding and the line character is great. I've had no lags or crashes. I've just started using the apps and iPad last week.

I do wish there were easier ways to learn about the apps than I have found. I landed here by trying to learn if Sketch is bitmap/raster or sometime of advanced vector (got the answer, its bitmap, thanks!) also it was difficult finding what the output resolution of the canvas in each app is. I've since learned that the canvas size in Sketch is the same as your iPad pixel dimensions and the resolution is 72 dpi.

I'm sure being able to increase file resolution is on the drawing board. Since I'm not making final art in sketch it's not a problem but eventually for this to be a real Pro app we'll need to be able to work on a canvas in Sketch that's 300 dpi.

Figuring out how to round trip transparent images from a desktop to the iPad and back has been a challenge too, but I figured that out.

Another need that comes with having layers (which I am super thankful for, because they were more basic when I first downloaded the apps) is being able to export without merging layers. I can understand if there is a layer amount limit maybe 5 layers max, but there needs to be something more than merging.

Great start overall, I've got 20+ years of creating with Adobe and I'm happy to still be happy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2016 Jun 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one is Vector base "mathematical lines"(adobe draw) the other is  Raster base "pixels" (photoshop sketch)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

Take a look at the following article to move designs between Photoshop and Illustrator for a different workflow that suits your design objectives: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/move-designs-between-photoshop-illustrator.html

Also, if you are looking to work with Illustrator design in Photoshop? See this: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/use-illustrator-artwork-in-photoshop.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines