How to change DPI on illustrator iPad app?

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I recently got the new illustrator app on iPad, I love it but I see that it is automatically saving every file at 75 dpi. What's up with that! I need to adjust that but I can't find the setting for it when I start my design, also if I import a design from a 75 dpi resolution into a higher dpi file will there be an issue with resolution? I'd hate to have to redo my whole design again..thanks for the help guys

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6F7F300F-DA16-4F5C-A502-C1D7CCB5D946.jpeg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying anything about convenience, I'm just telling you that it's possible.

I'm not an Adobe employee, I'm not even getting paid for posting anything here.

If you want this ability included, I would suggest that you post a feature request via the settings in the app. Because that gets send to the engineers and people responsible for the product.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika...if you had acknowledged the existence of the issue in your first
response then explained your workaround, it would have saved a lot of
confusion. We’ve all grown up with the desktop version which is different
from the iPad version in this instance.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you didn't read all my responses.

I did explain the issue as well as the workaround on November 6, which was my second post.

In my first post I explained a false assumption that the thread openeer as well as a lot of people make about the "resolution" setting in Illustrator on the desktop.

I can't "acknowledge" things that I'm not responsible for. I can explain them, but that's it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

monika, you have a typo (ppi instead of dpi) in this reply which confused me. so far this is what i understood . ppi is for your computer screen and dpi is for printer, lets say you want to print number "8" on greeting card vs a big banner for football cutout. the only thing which matters here is ppi . greeting card can be printed with 64 ppi but banner may require 1000 ppi without making it blurry.  if your design is intended to be downloaded and printed out by 'x by y' dimension , calculate the ppi required using the link and create a document , fit the already created design to this new document and download it as png or pdf . one thing to keep in mind, as ppi increases size of the file also increases , dont increase unnecessarily unless its for printing. 

http://www.photokaboom.com/photography/learn/printing/1_calculators.htm#Print

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't have a typo. Image output resolution is defined in ppi as in "this image should be output with a certain number of its pixels crammed into an inch".

Your printer's resolution is measured in dpi as in "it produces a certain number of dots per inch".

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cant choose specific pixels when the vendor wants specific mm x mm. If you send outside their guidelines, they kick it back to be done based on their guidelines. And now I'm having to change it to 300ppi as per their guidelines as well. I can argue with the vendor saying it's just metadata, and it doesn't matter. Because apparently, it does matter and trying to tell a professional printing company that's been in business since 1991 that they are wrong doesn't seem to help me get my product printed. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, so what I did to get around this was export it as a psd and then put it into a higher resolution photoshop document and final export it from there. It takes a little longer but it works.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Anna. I sent it to Fresco and am doing the same. I appreciate an actual answer versus condescending comments like the company requesting the specific ppi format and guidelines doesn't know how to run their printing company. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,  I have been using Illustrator for Ipad since its first beta release, and there was an option to set your artwork to 300 PPI on earlier version releases.  See attached image.  I don't know why that feature option was removed. 86945657-CD0B-4413-BC70-1FE1F6D6681D.jpeg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That option is meaningless, because it sets the resolution for raster effects. Illustrator on the iPad doesn't have any raster effects.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this can help:5B3A4C9E-5A67-4416-83C1-90151BC2B201.jpegin earlier versions of the beta releases. Illustrator for IPad had the raster effect option turned on.  Please bring back that option Illustrator for iPad team!.    

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no raster effects in Illustrator on the iPad. That option just doesn't have any effect.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so far this is what i understood from reading difference between ppi and dpi  . ppi is for your computer screen and dpi is for printer, lets say you want to print number "8" on greeting card vs a big banner for football cutout using the same printer which has 1000dpi, the only thing which matters here is ppi . greeting card can be printed with 64 ppi  png but banner may require 1000 ppi png without making it blurry.  if your design is intended to be downloaded and printed out by 'x by y' dimension , calculate the ppi required using the link below  and create a document with those dimensions, fit the already created design to this new document and download it as png or pdf . voila , your image now can be printed on greeting card with 64 ppi png and banner using 1000 by 1000 ppi png. one thing to keep in mind, as ppi increases size of the file also increases , dont increase ppi unnecessarily ,unless its for printing. 

http://www.photokaboom.com/photography/learn/printing/1_calculators.htm#Print

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there.

Don't know if how much has changed within releases over time.

As of 2021.02.26, When using the different defaults for documents on the Illustrator for iPad home / start screen I noticed that the "Print" type of file now has a default raster effects setting of 300ppi.

There are points in this thread that are opinions on best practice and capability of vectors, etc.

Aside from what is or isn't what some want to do, I wonder what repercussions if any would be experienced after a CC file sync from iPad to desktop? Seems like you'd want to start from a high resolution/capability of raster ppi on thre iPad app if a user ever wants to create rich effects on the desktop. This would probably retain integrity when going back and forth bewteen devices.

Have a great day.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The raster effects resolution can be changed at any given time on the desktop version and has no effects whatsoever on the iPad version.

So in fact it doesn't matter how you set it up on the iPad.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this info.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines