• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to lock proportions WITHOUT holding clear bubble?

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's getting tiresome to constantly needing to use the clear bubble when resizing my objects in order not to distrot proportion. Is there a setting I can adjust in order to be able to resize objects with out the need of clear bubble and retain my proportions? 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you suggesting that you would prefer for the default behavior to be "constrain proportions during resizing," and that the touch modifier be applied only for unconstrained sizing? Keep in mind that Adobe made this change in Photoshop a couple of years back, and there was a terrible outcry from people who preferred the legacy behavior (because that's what they've always done). Eventually, Adobe added an option in preferences to allow the user to set the preferred behavior.

If you'd like to see this option added to the settings, please use the in-app help feature to "Suggest an improvement."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup that is exactly what I'd love to do.

I vaguely remember Adobe doing this for computer version and it made sense as a "default".

I'm copy/pasting the same shape and resizing it to "fill" into a specific outline (see sample image attached) and I find it frustrating that I need to use clear button to make sure these shapes retain the same proportions.

I feel like if I wanted to "distort" shapes, I should then needing to use "shift"/"clear bubble" in order to do so, not vice versa. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pbaidatsky 

A second way is to hold down the Shift key to constrain as you would in the Desktop version. Do you have the Apple Magic Keypad for your iPad?

Illustrator does not work like Photoshop. In Illustrator, you can enable the link in the Transform panel (and other places) to keep a shape proportional — or use Cmd Return. No one ever got rankled in Illustrator about this as a few noisy users did in Photoshop.

If you want to make a feature request that the developers will see, you can do that here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

If you do, put the link back in this thread so it will be seen by others. It's a great idea!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, I think you are missing the point.

Illustrator is forcing its users to use an extra step in order not to distort its shapes.

If I want consistenay, then I am required to take extra step to achieve it.

... regardless if its a bubble on a screen or a keyboard button. 

Thanks for the feedbadck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@pbaidatsky wrote:

Hi Jane, I think you are missing the point.

No, I did not miss your point, @pbaidatsky. 🙂 The volunteers on this forum do not work for Adobe and cannot make changes to the application. I gave you the link to make a feature request to the product developers and told you that you have a great idea. I'd like to see it, too.

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines