• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator on Ipad - Shortcut to deselect?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an easy way to deselect all objects in the Ipad version?

I know you can click on an empty area of the artboard to deselect, but that's not always practrical, especially if you're zoomed in.

Or if I have the keyboard attached, I can use the keyboard shortcut shift>cmd>A, but again, not always practical.

It would be great if there was a button somewhere on screen, or a gesture, to achieve this e.g. a double click of the touch modifier would be a super easy way to deselect.

Or maybe this already exists within the app and I'm missing something...

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

For anyone with the seame query, I found a solution:

In settings there is an option to assign a command to the Apple pencil 'double tap' function, and one of the options is to deselect active objects on the artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an easy way to deselect all objects in the Ipad version?

I know you can click on an empty area of the artboard to deselect, but that's not always practrical, especially if you're zoomed in.

Or if I have the keyboard attached, I can use the keyboard shortcut shift>cmd>A, but again, not always practical.

It would be great if there was a button somewhere on screen, or a gesture, to achieve this e.g. a double click of the touch modifier would be a super easy way to deselect.

[Duplicate posts merged by moderator. Please post once.]

Or maybe this already exists within the app and I'm missing something...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone with the seame query, I found a solution:

In settings there is an option to assign a command to the Apple pencil 'double tap' function, and one of the options is to deselect active objects on the artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not working for me since double click seams to past what is in the clipboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking outside of the object is the standard isn't it? Why does this even have to be diseased? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*discussed 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@martinb27414133 You're right.
@benk28841253 The pasting clipboard objects when doble tapping doesn'r happen to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping this would work - but when you draw a line with the pen tool and want to deselect it (to start a new line) without have to choose the select icon -  then click on the board - and then select the pen too again...With this fix - when you double click to deselct the line - it just draws a new one where you double click. I hope they fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except for me all that ever does is add a node with the pencil tool is selected. Would be nice if that wouldn't happen because it just creates another object I have to deselect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you tapping the side of the pencil with your finger? It sounds like you're tapping the pencil on the screen. It's just a double tap of the finger on the flat side of the pencil (the pencil is touch sensitive).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the first gen pencil, so yes, I was tapping the screen as there's no option to tap the pencil. So I guess those of us on older iPads are out of luck 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the most frustrating thing in the entire world. I can't stand that there's no deselect button. When you're zoomed in working on details it is so triggering. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote I can't stand that there's no deselect button. 

By @Mecro

A moderator has added your question to this existing thread, which has the correct answer: double tapping the pencil to de-select (default behavior, but adjustable in app settings). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO IT DOESN'T. IT PASTES if you have recently copied something NO MATTER WHAT SETTING IS SELECTED FOR DOUBLE-TAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

NO IT DOESN'T. IT PASTES if you have recently copied something NO MATTER WHAT SETTING IS SELECTED FOR DOUBLE-TAP.

By @Your pal, Al

I have just tested it. If you set up the double tap accordingly in the App settings, then it can deselect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines