Highlighted

25.0 buggy with layers?

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure exactly what is the cause of a problem I'm having but it seems to have come along with the update to Illustrator 25.0, and I'm wondering if others have it also: in every file that I've created so far in 25.0 layers do not behave properly. Turning visiblity and lock on and off has no effect.  

For example I just now made a new file, drew a default brush line on the default layer 1, then I added a new layer and drew a filled rectangle. And now when I click to turn off visibility of either layer both layers remain visible no matter what. When I save the file and reopen it into Illustrator the layer visibility jumps back to all layers being visible, regardless of which layers I had turned off prior to the save. Quitting the app and restarting my Mac (running OS X 10.15.7 (19H2)) has no help on the situation. 

This would be a fun academic exercize except I'm sitting here with crazy deadlines and a completely unusable Illustrator app with no solution in sight. 

Anybody else having this problem?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

25.0 buggy with layers?

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure exactly what is the cause of a problem I'm having but it seems to have come along with the update to Illustrator 25.0, and I'm wondering if others have it also: in every file that I've created so far in 25.0 layers do not behave properly. Turning visiblity and lock on and off has no effect.  

For example I just now made a new file, drew a default brush line on the default layer 1, then I added a new layer and drew a filled rectangle. And now when I click to turn off visibility of either layer both layers remain visible no matter what. When I save the file and reopen it into Illustrator the layer visibility jumps back to all layers being visible, regardless of which layers I had turned off prior to the save. Quitting the app and restarting my Mac (running OS X 10.15.7 (19H2)) has no help on the situation. 

This would be a fun academic exercize except I'm sitting here with crazy deadlines and a completely unusable Illustrator app with no solution in sight. 

Anybody else having this problem?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see this issue (Illustrator 25.0 on OS X 10.14.6).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When was the last time you rebooted the computer?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for trying to help! I ended up going onto a support chat with Adobe and they instructed me to manually delete all my preference files (from inside my OS X ~Library and Preference folders) and this did the trick. Still unclear what caused it exactly, and unclear to me why Adobe wouldn't just build a fix like this into the app itself or make it otherwise self-serve (maybe inside the Creative Cloud desktop app which allows me to install and configure my CC apps). But I'm back up and working. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
~jasonC LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok folks well guess what, the solution didn't work after all. After getting back to work the same exact problem happened again, so surely there is a problem of some kind with bad preferences being generated. 

But I did learn one new thing -- the error only seems to happen when I'm using Illustrator 25.0 on my Wacom Cintiq 16 Pro, which means at least I can do my design tasks but I'll need to figure out some kind of new work around for illustration tasks until I can figure out a solution. I'll see if I can learn anything from Wacom Support....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Resources