Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

32.000 points path...

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,
I am working on a map and the plot has more than 32,000 points which is the limit that illustrator manages. Therefore impossible to join all of these paths.

Has anyone ever had this problem and is there a solution?

Thank you for your answers.

Regards

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can open the file in Acrobat but exactly you can not edit it like Illustrator.
You can also open the file in Photoshop, it rasterizes it and convert it into pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks fro the anwser, but in another word i'm stuck with my problem, because photoshop pixels... not exactly what i want. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried Path>Simplify with the fidelity set to something like 96%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Larry, i even tried with 100%.. but no way !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a sample .ai file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this vector object with 32,000+ anchor points a compound path? Can it not be broke apart into separate objects? Another thing I would try is slicing it into multiple objects. If the object has effects applied to it (line strokes, shadow effects, etc) those effects can be re-built using other approaches (duplicate objects arranged underneath, placed raster-based background images).

A 32,000 anchor point limit within Illustrator is not the only concern. If the design is going to be printed you'll need to know the limits of those devices. I've seen printers reject objects with more than 5000 anchor points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.ai nor zip files suppported. Any idea to share a sample ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, not going to be printed. and trying to send sample but...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use some cloud sharing site like Dropbox, Google or even Adobe to share the file. What I meant was to use something less than 100% to force the reduction of the number of points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is the dropbox link for a smallll sample : https://www.dropbox.com/s/8d79664nilpfylq/Australia.ai?dl=0

I'll try with something less and tell you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to share a sample .ai file you can use a file sharing provider (Google Drive etc.) and post a (public) download link.

You can also put the file onto your CC storage and share the download link from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to use the Object > Path > Simplify route, as already suggested by Larry.

It may take a while because more than 1 million of anchor points have to be processed in this case. Also, you will have to play around a bit with the Curve Precision and Angle Threshold settings to get some reasonable results.

I just did a quick test and was able to go from more than 1 million anchor points to about 25.000 thousand points (entire Australia). Certainly it could be even more simplified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kurt i'll try. Not expert with illustrator... Is there any distortion or modification of the path after this ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are slight modifications, of course. To simplify something always means to modify it.

Distortions? Depends on your point of view and what settings you use to simplify things.

You will have to experiment a bit in order to get results that may suit your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simplify works.

Any reason this has to be so complicated? - it's not an "accurate" representation as all the lines are straight, so why not have illy trace this and play around with the fidelity... you will lose a lot of the islands though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The only reason but the best one is because it's a map... and we can't change the coastline.. I'll try to see if i can do something exporting in a 3D soft

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will not necessarily lose islands if you carefully use the Simplify command in reasonable pieces, Jonathan.

Your pointer may sometimes be correct in case you are talking about processing (simplifying) all paths in one whack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines