3D Mapping Multiple Labels to Same Object/How to Place Symbol in Exact Same Place?

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I am needing to mockup 6 versions of the same size label to a jar and make it look realistic. I am creating a cylinder with 3D > Extrude and Bevel and then using the Map Art function to add the label artwork via Symbols. Then I am transferring the warped label artwork to Photoshop and applying the label to a photo of the jar. 

I can get one to look perfect but when I go to add the next label - in the exact same spot so they are consistent - I cannot figure out how to get them to sit in the exact same spot. I figured there would be a way to "replace" one symbol (label) with another symbol (next label) but cannot figure out how to do this within the 3D mapping dialog box. Since I am just manually dragging it, the label moves slightly with every version and it looks messy. Is there a way to accomplish this?

For reference, I have tried just warping the label in Photoshop but it doesn't look nearly as realistic as using the 3D+Revolve+Mapping tool in Illustrator. But if there is another program to accompish this in, I'm all ears! 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

For Dimensions you would indeed need a 3D model.

In Illustrator you don't need to create a "full" cylinder. You could also calculate the angle you need and then only make a 40° cylinder. Maybe it's easier to fit the labels on it and exchange them?

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

3D Mapping Multiple Labels to Same Object/How to Place Symbol in Exact Same Place?

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I am needing to mockup 6 versions of the same size label to a jar and make it look realistic. I am creating a cylinder with 3D > Extrude and Bevel and then using the Map Art function to add the label artwork via Symbols. Then I am transferring the warped label artwork to Photoshop and applying the label to a photo of the jar. 

I can get one to look perfect but when I go to add the next label - in the exact same spot so they are consistent - I cannot figure out how to get them to sit in the exact same spot. I figured there would be a way to "replace" one symbol (label) with another symbol (next label) but cannot figure out how to do this within the 3D mapping dialog box. Since I am just manually dragging it, the label moves slightly with every version and it looks messy. Is there a way to accomplish this?

For reference, I have tried just warping the label in Photoshop but it doesn't look nearly as realistic as using the 3D+Revolve+Mapping tool in Illustrator. But if there is another program to accompish this in, I'm all ears! 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

In Illustrator you don't need to create a "full" cylinder. You could also calculate the angle you need and then only make a 40° cylinder. Maybe it's easier to fit the labels on it and exchange them?

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try by creating small lines at the edges.

Also: you should try out Adobe Dimension. It's been made for this job.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't that involve using a 3D model of a jar? I have photos of the specific jar these labels need to be placed on. I can't use a generic 3D model...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Resources