• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

9-box grid of transforms - a real-time pattern tester. Possible?

Engaged ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am absolutely horrible with patterns. No matter how much time I spend, how much precision measuring I do, or what guides I set up, I always struggle to make patterns that I can turn into swatches. I recently spent 3hrs, and it still looked like trash, not aligning right.

I ran across a guys tutorial on how to create mandalas a while back, and my frustration got me remembering that video. I thought "Of Coarse!!! It's so easy!". I used the principle of creating coppies using the transform effect, and moving them around. For a traditional rectangular or square pattern though, Id need a grid of 9 squares, with the center being the original. However, when I try this, either the middle-horizontal row, or the middle veritcal row end up  being duplicates. The center original always ends up a duplicate.

Does anyone know how to make a grid of "copies" where the original is the center, without it being duplicate?

Monika? You amazing awesome person! Any ideas or suggestions?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand you right - menu: Object  --> Pattern --> create

does exactly what you want.

pattern_create_01.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sry, will have to reply tonight. Thank you for the suggestion. still working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show an example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do. Will have to reply tonight though. Hope you have a good weekend if I don't hear back from ya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

let us know if the example you saw worked or if you need any other information!

Chana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, first off, thank for your help and interest. Sorry to be so late on the reply. Unfortunately the Make Pattern approach wasn't going to work for what I needed. I figured out how to do exactly what I need, but wanted to test it enough before reply. Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please show what you did to solve this issue?

It would help others and some people have invested their time to try and help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya, definitely. I apologize, I meant no disrespect or to imply I didn't appreciate everyones time. It's just that I felt kind of guilty and embarrassed. Pixxels aproach was the "right way" of going bout it. The way I ended up going is really conveluded and unintuitive. I'll explain, but heres a video incase you want to see it and not read it.

https://youtu.be/IxhO8-imjx8
I can't explain it, but something about the Make Pattern mode didn't sit right.
So:

- I created an artboard 500px x 500px.

- Create grid 1500x1500 2 dividers for both axis

- Centered to artboard and locked

- Create new layer

- Created verital line and centered with artboard, and one for horizontal, centering to artboard (these are for visual aid only)

- Select Layer 2 (the whole layer - not just shapes) and then go to Effect > Distort and Transform > Transform

- Type 1 for copies, and type 500px for Horizontal, and apply. Do another transform effect -500px this time, and apply. Do another transform effect 500px vertical this time, and apply. And finally Do another transform effect 500px vertical this time, and apply.

- Next create a shape the same dimensions as your artboard.

- Select the whole layer again and choose Make/Release Clipping Mask at the bottom of the Layer panel.

And thats the overly complicated approach I came up with.

Like I said, I can't explain it... but even though this has more steps, it just works easier for me and I can save it as a project and template. Thank you all for your time and help. As always, it is deeply appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I finally understood what you wanted.

In case you want more complex settings of this, try madpattern.com

A free set of pattern templates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW!! How do you know all this stuff and keep track of it? You impress me (b^_^)b

Also, ya. . . My wife is constantly reminding me that I have a really bad habit of telling stories or explaining things that include events, timelines, and other such details, but always manage to ommit the most important detail, who/what the story is about. Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe the pattern maker would have been easier.

Create a square with no fill, no stroke color. 

Select it and Make Pattern.

Edit: actually you don't need a square, you could start with nothing and enter a size in the pattern maker)

Start drawing.

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 22.18.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines