• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A problem highlighting/selecting text in Illustrator CS3

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2011 Oct 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In several instances I can't highlight text to copy or to edit, other times it works fine. If I click the radio button for the text in layers (other layers may be locked to prevent accidental selection), the baselines appears and I should be able to highlight the text, but I can't. If I highlight some other unaffected area of text successfully (unlocked layers), sometimes it will allow me to select the problem text directly after. Then it will go back to being a problem, why?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 26, 2011 Oct 26, 2011

Yolu are probably accidentially hitting Cmd(Ctrl)-H which in Illustrator is the toggle for Show/Hide Edges (View>Show/Hide Edges).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yolu are probably accidentially hitting Cmd(Ctrl)-H which in Illustrator is the toggle for Show/Hide Edges (View>Show/Hide Edges).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This just happened to me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! It works for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

genious!!!!! thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Life saver!  Thanks for reducing my frustration today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Day just got saved. Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of highlighting the text, what exactly does Illustrator do? Which tools do you use? Is there some object positioned above the text? Could you show a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the general text tool, I've locked the other sublayers to avoid accidentally selecting those items. Then I click the radio button on the sublayer I wish to edit or copy, which reveals the baselines. Then if I click within that object to highlight text with the cursor, the text tool creates a new textbox/sublayer and does not highlight the text I intended.

From: Monika Gause <forums@adobe.com<mailto:forums@adobe.com>>

Reply-To: <jive-1854183576-rzb2-2-2dkba@mail.forums.adobe.com<mailto:jive-1854183576-rzb2-2-2dkba@mail.forums.adobe.com>>

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:49:40 -0600

To: Roger Daleiden <rdale@fullcompass.com<mailto:rdale@fullcompass.com>>

Subject: A problem highlighting/selecting text in Illustrator CS3

Re: A problem highlighting/selecting text in Illustrator CS3

created by Monika Gause<http://forums.adobe.com/people/Monika+Gause> in Illustrator - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/3992086#3992086

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which icon does the cursor show the moment you click? Perhaps you have checked "Select Type by path" in preferences. In this case you must click exactly on the baseline to select the text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have solved my issue, select type by path was indeed checked. I unchecked it and now it works fine!

Thank you!

From: Monika Gause <forums@adobe.com<mailto:forums@adobe.com>>

Reply-To: <jive-1854183576-rzb2-2-2dkcf@mail.forums.adobe.com<mailto:jive-1854183576-rzb2-2-2dkcf@mail.forums.adobe.com>>

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:14:14 -0600

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!!!!

Preferences > Type is a check box to select the type only by path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 2 wasy you can enter text edit mode

1. Double Click iwht a selction tool on the text

2. Click and drag with the text tool

For either method to be sucessful you need to be able to click on the text. Your problem could:

• You may have an image on top, that has transpraency or set to a blending mode,

(click with the selection tool over your type, look at the top left to see what yo have selected. CMD 3 to hide, keep repeating until you hide some clutter and finally select your text. When done OPT CMD 3 to unhide all.

• or your text may be within a mask

Look at the tol bar on top, yo will see an icon after the word group, click on teh second one to enter the mask.

Picture 1.png

There are some more reasons, but a screenshot would help to reduce the length of my reply and better target a solution for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select type by path was checked. I unchecked it and now it works fine!

From: Mike Gondek <forums@adobe.com<mailto:forums@adobe.com>>

Reply-To: <jive-1854183576-rzb2-2-2dkb2@mail.forums.adobe.com<mailto:jive-1854183576-rzb2-2-2dkb2@mail.forums.adobe.com>>

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:17:50 -0600

Re: A problem highlighting/selecting text in Illustrator CS3

created by Mike Gondek<http://forums.adobe.com/people/Mike+Gondek2> in Illustrator - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/3992078#3992078

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

You should perhaps mark this thread solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2013 May 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where was this selected? I am having the same issue but I cannot find anywhere that I have that selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Preferences>Type is a check box to select the type only by path. Did you check View>Show/Hide Edges as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was looking for that. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem, and it's not Select type by path, or edges.  Just want to delete the text.Select-Text-Screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, the group selection tool worked....I may be a dummy, but Illustrator is confusing and frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines