• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ability to paste text "content" and not formatting

Engaged ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to be able to copy text and paste it over other text without pasting the formatting.

E.g. I have 2 point text objects, both have different appearances.

If I highlight the text from the first and paste it over the second, the appearance gets pasted as well.

I'd like to be able to keep the second object's appearance intact.

Hate to bring up Corel DRAW again, but Corel lets you do what I'm asking for.

Seems to me if you want to copy some text and include its appearance then you'd just duplicate the whole object.

But if I use the Text Tool and highlight the text and then copy, it does the same exact thing.

Knowhattamean?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I little workaround would be to copy the text you want, paste it into notepad or any ASCII editing app, then copy paste it back to illustrator (the text in notepad doesn't contain any formatting information). Not the quickest way to do it I would admit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A better and more serious would be the software CMD + SHIFT + V to paste without formatting text. Just as it is in other programs...

Illustrator design team is as stubborn as I do not know what ...

I fully support the proposal Johna!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't agree more with the proposal that it support CMD + SHIFT + V

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be an option when you paste the text.

I'd like to know the reason for not adding this by now.

Oh wait... we don't have many other options, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. This option is very often needed. On the base and they know that the other teams Adobe.

I understand that sometimes it is better not to move the code small reasons, because this could in turn introduces big problems.

Code was an old, complicated, and probably very few people knew of what they exactly consist.

But now that he is re-written 64-bit such things should be immediately implemented.

I need this to not think about Ilustartor as a separate, backward planet of Adobe.

Regards for All!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree on this one. Same goes for Photoshop.

It's a no-brainer! the ctrl/cmd+shift+v keyboard shortcut is available.

UNIFORMIZE your apps. For several years you've only taken mouse steps towards this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a looooooong overdue "feature"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2014 Sep 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's crazy that this still doens't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 12, 2014 Sep 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do not talk, just treat your voices on this subject....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2014 Oct 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a serious problem, a long time ago this was possible in illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2014 Oct 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why hasn't this been implemented yet?

Meanwhile a quicker workaround than using notepad is to just paste the content of your clipboard into spotlight and then Cmd-A and Copy it again. Not ideal but it takes me literally 2 seconds. I'm sure you can do the same by pasting into the run field in Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, 3 years later...has this been implemented?    I could use it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 13, 2015 Mar 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure a script would be simple to write that adds the selected text to the clipboard without formatting but to activate it with a shortcut is the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has not. This feature should have been implemented several versions ago. Adobe has really dropped the ball on this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the Ai team and the InD team does not talk to each other, i have used for quite some time a simple utility in MacOs, which I added to the startup items. It is a little app called JumpCut (Jumpcut: Minimalist Clipboard Buffering for OS X) This allow you to copy any text, up to 15 segments of file and store them for further use. This text has no styles, so it will paste with whatever style you have in any program: from Adobe to Microsoft or any other.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are on PC you can use a freeware utility called Ditto. If also had the added benefit of keeping multiple items in your clipboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For clearing the styling you can go one step faster than using the text editor.

In Illustrator, you can use the Search input from the application bar, for example. Or if you're on a Mac, you can use Spotlight's search input.

Here's the technique explained for Photoshop. It works the same for Illustrator, only you can't use the Font drop-down, but instead the options I mentioned above.

Photoshop productivity hack: Paste and Match Style alternative — Futurice

It's a small improvement, but it makes a difference to your flow over time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw the copy and paste option elsewhere, but apparently it has a character limit and doesn't work for paragraphs of text longer than just 2565 characters. It's a shame that Adobe doesn't listen to it's customers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's mind boggling that Adobe continues to not provide this option. It would be as simple as offering a "paste and match style" option. Another obvious feature would be to "apply paragraph styliing to all other paragraphs". I guess that's asking too much. Adobe apparently doesn't care what their customers want or need, since they know they have a monopoly on the industry. If they did care, they'd fix decade long bugs and oversights. For example, the inability to hide text (what use to be cmd H) without having to disable the GPU processing setting. Laughably, that was the "solution" by Adobe reps when dozens of people asked why they could no longer hide selected type for easier editing. Even though disabling the GPU setting causes numerous other disadvantages. I can't wait until there is a true Adobe alternative for professional designers. Eventually there will be and Adobe will wonder why thousands of their customers jump ship. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>apply paragraph styliing to all other paragraphs

This can be easily accomplished by setting up Paragraph Styles and Character Styles.  

Still, I really, really want the Paste without Formatting option; there are times when it would be a huge timessaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but that still requires setting the formatting up. Why not just have a simple setting option to apply which allows formatting to be applied or not applied. Much simpler. It seems like a no brainer for any design app in my opinion. I'm sure Adobe's reasoning is something along the lines of Illustrator not being a type program or something odd. Yet I wouldn't find InDesign being a better program for a label design creation. Anyway, thanks for your input. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding votes accomplishes nothing. There are 50+ votes for many blatantly needed features, yet Adobe does nothing about it. The fact that Adobe got rid of Cmd H to hide/reveal selected text says it all. There are hundreds of complaints over this and hundreds of up votes spread across various threads. For whatever reason Adobe decided to get rid of this obviously needed feature is mind boggling. And Adobe's response is to disable "GPU Performance" lol... even though doing so disables many other features. The fact smart guides still sometimes don't work in obvious situations. Or how rounded corners don't work when zoomed in too far. I could go on and on. My list of Adobe bugs/oversights is well over 30 and growing. But anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The fact that Adobe got rid of Cmd H to hide/reveal selected text says it all. There are hundreds of complaints over this and hundreds of up votes spread across various threads."

Cmd H Hides or Shows Edges, I have never seen it hiding/showing text.

And I cannot find the hundreds of complaints about this.

Arre you sure this worked in Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines