• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

add a stroke around text or shapes not working

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm following a tutorial and the result shows that you should be able to add a stroke to the outline of a grouped image: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H_aNw5mSjk

My result is the stroke is added to all of the image instead of just the outline. Before:

before.png

After:

Screenshot 2020-11-04 223731.png

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

You need to have fills applied—that's what the strokes are dragged behind (under) in the Appearance panel. The behavior you get—what shows and what doesn't—depends on whether the fill is applied to the individual paths or to the group as a whole, the order of the paths, bottom to top, in the Layers panel, and the order of fills and strokes, bottom to top, in the Appearance panel.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to have fills applied—that's what the strokes are dragged behind (under) in the Appearance panel. The behavior you get—what shows and what doesn't—depends on whether the fill is applied to the individual paths or to the group as a whole, the order of the paths, bottom to top, in the Layers panel, and the order of fills and strokes, bottom to top, in the Appearance panel.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, Thank you for replying. That totally helped. Didn't realize the layers had to be fill layers instead of just paths. 

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there are no fills applied, you could perhaps (in some cases) add a pathfinder effect to make the stroke just on the outside of the group. Would depend on the exact nature of the drawing if this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying, Monika. I'll explore that option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad you found it helpful. In general, those surrounding strokes need a place to hide on the inside. My further advice, whether or not you use her suggestions on this project, is to always listen to Monika!

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines