Highlighted

Add Anchor Points does not add more anchor points

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encountered an (suspected) issue with Add Anchor Points when I call it in the most recent version of Illustrator CC (21.1.0). It does not add more anchor points, and from as far as I can tell it doesn't really do anything. I've been able to recreate this issue on two different computers running the latest version of Illustrator CC, and I'm not sure if it's a bug, or if this function has changed since I last used it.

The easiest way I've found to recreate the problem is by creating a rectangle with the Rectangle Tool. With the rectangle highlighted, go to Options->Path->Add Anchor Points. The first time you run Add Anchor Points on the object, no anchor points will be added, but a message at the top of the screen with say "Path Expanded". The next time you run Add Anchor Points on that same object, nothing will happen (that I can see).

I know I could just add these points manually, but I need them to be evenly spaced out, and I need a lot of them for a complex object I'm working with.

If anyone has any suggestions, or if there's a better place to report this, let me.

If it's helpful, this is on a macbook running 10.12.6

Thanks in advance for any help!

I think Adobe changed the way the anchor points display, to make for a less cluttered experience.

Can you see any extra points when, with  the object is selected,  you  hold   the CTRL key down ?

or  when using with the  white arrow-  Direct selection tool ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Add Anchor Points does not add more anchor points

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encountered an (suspected) issue with Add Anchor Points when I call it in the most recent version of Illustrator CC (21.1.0). It does not add more anchor points, and from as far as I can tell it doesn't really do anything. I've been able to recreate this issue on two different computers running the latest version of Illustrator CC, and I'm not sure if it's a bug, or if this function has changed since I last used it.

The easiest way I've found to recreate the problem is by creating a rectangle with the Rectangle Tool. With the rectangle highlighted, go to Options->Path->Add Anchor Points. The first time you run Add Anchor Points on the object, no anchor points will be added, but a message at the top of the screen with say "Path Expanded". The next time you run Add Anchor Points on that same object, nothing will happen (that I can see).

I know I could just add these points manually, but I need them to be evenly spaced out, and I need a lot of them for a complex object I'm working with.

If anyone has any suggestions, or if there's a better place to report this, let me.

If it's helpful, this is on a macbook running 10.12.6

Thanks in advance for any help!

I think Adobe changed the way the anchor points display, to make for a less cluttered experience.

Can you see any extra points when, with  the object is selected,  you  hold   the CTRL key down ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 20, 2017 0
Guide ,
Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 20, 2017 1
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ray, that was it. I've only recently started using CC (instead of CS6), so I'm no used to this new anchor point display. Using only the Selection Tool, the points aren't shown unless you press the CTRL/CMD key down or switch to Direct Selection Tool.

Thanks again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 20, 2017 0
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command+H should show the points because the newest update allows you to hide or show all points

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2020 0