• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ADD ARTBOARD AFTER REARRANGING

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to add an artboard at the end of a horizontal line of boards I get the message: Cannot create Artboard outside the canvas. Please rarrange and try again.

When I rearrange the artboards into two lines (and specify spaces and columns) and then try to add another board, it adds it to the end of the first line of pages which is in the middle of the document!!

Is this a software glitch or am I doing something wrong?

This happens even when I click on the last artboard before adding the board.

Regards Robyn

Message was edited by: devinquent

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Yes, it seems like Illustrator just looks at all the artboards on in your document and adds the new one at the upper right hand corner of what would be the "bounding box" of all the artboards taken together:

Artboards.png

This seems inconvienient when you are trying to add an artboard to an organized grid of boards, but I think illustrator doesn't keep track of the (somewhat arbitrary) organization of your artboards.  Anyway, best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if what you are describing is a "glitch", or just the way illustrator is programmed to add artboards when using the "New Artboard" command from the Artboard palette (which is, I think, how you are adding your artboard.)  It did the same for me when I tried it this way. Instead, try using the artboard tool from the tool palette and just option-shift drag the last artboard to the position you want.. Same idea as copying any object.  Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mmmm. Stand by.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I was using the palette.

Dragging worked but the new artboard is now called '19 copy' instead of '20' (and you can't change those artboard names).

When I copied the artboard created from the palette, that also worked, but the original new artboard remains where it was newly created so I have 'artboard 20' next to 'page 10' and 'artboard 20 copy' in the page 20 position.

Sounds like a programme shortcoming.

Thanks for your help.

Gonna do it the old fashioned way and recreate the document with 19 columns and 38 pages and delete backwards when job is finished.

Unless you've got any other ideas.

What a mess!

Thanks again.

Regards Robyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it seems like Illustrator just looks at all the artboards on in your document and adds the new one at the upper right hand corner of what would be the "bounding box" of all the artboards taken together:

Artboards.png

This seems inconvienient when you are trying to add an artboard to an organized grid of boards, but I think illustrator doesn't keep track of the (somewhat arbitrary) organization of your artboards.  Anyway, best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2015 Jan 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Re: ADD ARTBOARD AFTER REARRANGING

This solution worked for me! I simply created a new dartboard using the dartboard tool and it worked. Thanks jbali9000.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yeah, also, you can change the artboard names.  Just double click on the name in the artboard palette to change the name, and if you want to change the number, just drag the artboard into the position you want it in the artboard palette list (or use the up and down arrows at the bottom of the palette)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that the order of artboards is correct in the artboard panel. Then use the sort function in the artboard panel's menu to sort them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2016 May 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue that the Art boards aren't arranged Correctly. I always fix it by Pressing on the Artboard palette & select "rearrange artboard" & select the arrangement you want. After that you can add artboard normallyartboard.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. It worked perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines