• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding transparency to a graphic that already uses a mask...?

Contributor ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a 'loader' in Illustrator (see below for example of the first few 'frames') - this has successfully been exported as pngs and programmed into the logo it sits in (not by me).

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 15.32.39.png

The programmers have asked if there is a way I can create a 'fade' to the tail of the circle so it is softer as it rotates...

Fortunately the graphic was originally made up of segments so I wondered about using a mask from two of these (note this just shows the shape I would use as a mask)....e.g.

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 15.36.44.png

However, I don't seem to be having much success, and wonder if my work-addled brain is trying to be too complicated and whether Illustrator is actually the best tool for the job. (Note I couldn't create it in Flash as it needs to be a series of pngs for the software the programmers use).

I don't want to end up with a dividing line between the two shapes (the O shape and the masked bit, if it even works).

Or... would it be better to take the whole thing into Photoshop and do it by eye there?

Thoughts / advice?

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Pixelysian,

As I (mis)understand it, you may consider something like the following with an Opacity Mask:

1) Give the masking path a gradient from black to white (you may create it as a stroked path and have the gradient along the path);

2) In the Transparency palette flyout click Make Opacity Mask with Clip unticked and with Invert Mask ticked or unticked depending on which way the gradient goes between black and white.

That will let you fade the end from full opacity into full transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would just be easier to create this using only CSS and not even create an image, I’m surprised your coder didn’t mentioned this.

I know it’s not much but ever KB saved makes a big difference to page loading speed, so having your coders create this using basic CSS would be much better and would make the loading quicker as a result

Refer your web team to this;

https://www.w3schools.com/howto/howto_css_loader.asp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charles

It's not for a website but for audio visual interface purposes using 3rd-party software so CSS is not applicable....

They need to be forwarded as separate pngs.

Plus the programmers are very skilled in what they do....thanks though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to worry, thought I’d explore that option before moving on!

Okay, so what I would do is add a gradient to the black masked section, one colour being transparent and the other being black, then mix it until it gives the desired effect.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers - that's kind of what I'm thinking....

I'll give it a go when I get some time from other projects and report back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do report back if it fails as someone else on this forums will most likely have a better solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pixelysian,

As I (mis)understand it, you may consider something like the following with an Opacity Mask:

1) Give the masking path a gradient from black to white (you may create it as a stroked path and have the gradient along the path);

2) In the Transparency palette flyout click Make Opacity Mask with Clip unticked and with Invert Mask ticked or unticked depending on which way the gradient goes between black and white.

That will let you fade the end from full opacity into full transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah ha

Think I finally got there using a gradient along the path... hoorah!

Jacob Bugge's suggestion proved to be very helpful (I didn't know Illustrator could do this!).

Many thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 10.15.00.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For my part you are welcome, Pixelysian.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines