Highlighted

Adobe Illustrator CC 2020 'An unknown error has occurred' Saving .ai file

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

I realise there are a few posts on this subject, but the solutions don't seem to be solving this issue, when I try to save a .ai file from the latest version of Illustrator (currently 24.0) I get the error above, it is important to mention that it doesn't matter if this is an existing file or a completely new document with no content.

Deleted and re-insalled Illustrator, deleted preferences. Still the same. In the end I reinstalled the older version of illustrator (23.1.1) to check if the problem was there aswell, it isn't.

We have two identical macs, both running the same software and system (Catalina 10.15.1) and one of them works fine, the other doesn't.

Any ideas, puling my hair out with this 😄

Cheers, Malc

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Illustrator CC 2020 'An unknown error has occurred' Saving .ai file

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

I realise there are a few posts on this subject, but the solutions don't seem to be solving this issue, when I try to save a .ai file from the latest version of Illustrator (currently 24.0) I get the error above, it is important to mention that it doesn't matter if this is an existing file or a completely new document with no content.

Deleted and re-insalled Illustrator, deleted preferences. Still the same. In the end I reinstalled the older version of illustrator (23.1.1) to check if the problem was there aswell, it isn't.

We have two identical macs, both running the same software and system (Catalina 10.15.1) and one of them works fine, the other doesn't.

Any ideas, puling my hair out with this 😄

Cheers, Malc

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 19, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: OK, I found an article I'd missed, solution is here, it was down to a custom Adobe PDF preset, once I moved them out of my library the saving worked again, then it was just a case of working out which preset wa causing the problem.

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/38961718-ai-2020-v-24-u...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither changing the PDF settings nor modifying visibility/hidden layers worked for me, but the problem disappeared when saving the file as a regular AI to Cloud Documents.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to save to Cloud Documents with success. However, when files and up being 250 or 550 Mb, saving them there is time consuming and I am not able to get them onto my server for archiving. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0