Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Illustrator(CS6) NOT running on OS X Yosemite

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

after upgrading to OS X Yosemite today, I just realised that I am not able to open AI (CS6) anymore,

I'd appreciate if there is any suggestion to fix this problem?

or if there is any upcoming update from Adobe which might address this issue?

Thanks a lot!

Mehran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mehran,

I believe the right order/way is to update the OS, then reinstall the application(s). Did you do that?

There may also be other issues caused by updating to Yosemite, and you may wish to roll back from it and wait to see whether the issues will be solved and reported as such.

Weeding out in older plugins seems to have helped some in some cases. It also seems that JAVA Runtime may be involved, for some it seems to help to roll back to an ealier version, for others to update to the newest. And at least for some, it has made a real difference to download the JAVA from Oracle rather than from Apple.

All the above is more or less hearsay so far, with no definite final confirmation.

In any case, there is something to be sorted out by someone.

On the other hand, this website seems to indicate that someone has made Yosemite work with almost all CS/CC versions.

http://roaringapps.com/apps?index=a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

Thanks a lot for your response, I reinstall AI app. but still is not working, the following error is popping up

"To open ā€œAdobe Illustrator CS6ā€ you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime."

it seems this version of Java is not the latest version;

not sure if it's ok to install this version for making the AI to work.

Thank you!

Mehran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it for some other program a while back. I don't remember it having any detrimental effects, but I wouldn't call that a comprehensive test. it makes me not want to update to 10.10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mehran,

You should be able to download the JAVA SE6 here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572

Edit: Hi Doug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Jacob!

yes, installing the Java helped the AI and also some other apps to work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, Mehran.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I try to go to that recommended site I just get a white screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my experience too DrDeb. Seems like Apple has pulled the links. Maybe that should tell us something. (Edit: The page is still there, but isn't always loading, possibly due to a Yosemite/Safari bug. You might have more luck in another browser. In any case, read onā€¦)

Why not install the latest version of Java from Oracle (currently Java 8) and try the solution I linked to? You can create the folders manually in the Finder, or just copy and paste the following commands into the Terminal (one at a time of course) to create them automatically:

sudo mkdir -p /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk

sudo mkdir -p /System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle

This has worked for me and others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 27, 2015 Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Itā€™s not necessary (or advisable) to install a legacy (and less secure) version of Java. If you have the latest version installed (currently Java 8), Illustrator should be able to use it, but for some reason it isnā€™t getting the message. But thereā€™s a super easy workaround posted here by commenter ā€˜eric3kā€™: http://oliverdowling.com.au/2014/03/28/java-se-8-on-mac-os-x/

Creating empty folders at ā€œ/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdkā€ and ā€œ/System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundleā€ makes Illustrator use Jave SE 8 as it should. Donā€™t ask me why it works, but it does! Illustrator CS6 finally launching for me on Yosemite.

Given how simple the workaround is (once you know about it!) one has to wonder why neither Apple or Adobe have fixed it. Well, Adobe wants us all to subscribe to Creative Cloud, so I guess theyā€™re not in a rush to make life easier for CS6 users. Iā€™ve sent my feedback to Apple asking them to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very useful info Kals. i'll have to bookmark that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2015 Mar 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOLY $#!# that was the quickest fix I've ever done.  I can now access CS6 Illustrator and CS4 Premier Pro....actually all my adobe apps, but most important the apps that I need the most.  THANKS KALS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2015 Mar 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kals for this fix! I downloaded the latest Java and ran the Terminal commands to create the folders. Checked to make sure the folders were created - they were- and successfully opened AI CS 6. While I'm not happy that I have to have Java on this machine AT ALL, at least I can run Illustrator. I would love for someone to comment on the overall security of running the latest Java version, and the ramifications of installing it on Yosemite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 02, 2015 Apr 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries guys. Glad it helped!

@Jody Joy: I'm not qualified to comment on the security of Java per se, but since Illustrator requires it, I know I'd rather be running the latest version. You can still have it turned off in your web browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2015 Aug 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kals I was just about to post this at the Olivers site but saw this thread so I thought I'd try here.

I've been trying to get Adobe CS5 to run. I've created the folders labeled:

/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk

/System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle (this folder turned into a white box)

Im still getting the java error that I need to install legacy version? I know that I'm missing something simple.

I've never done anything with the terminal

I'm running 10.10.4

Java is ver8 update 51 (downloaded after I created the folders.)

I did do a restart after.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

chris_blackbox, read the following;

Pls just tell me how - CS6 Yosemite Java (forums.adobe.com/thread/1706469), especially reply # 28,

but first read support.apple.com/en-us/HT204899.  Read all of both before you try anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look At Kals  Answer.. Fastest fix ever...

That was my experience too DrDeb. Seems like Apple has pulled the links. Maybe that should tell us something. (Edit: The page is still there, but isn't always loading, possibly due to a Yosemite/Safari bug. You might have more luck in another browser. In any case, read onā€¦)

Why not install the latest version of Java from Oracle (currently Java 8) and try the solution I linked to? You can create the folders manually in the Finder, or just copy and paste the following commands into the Terminal (one at a time of course) to create them automatically:

sudo mkdir -p /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk

sudo mkdir -p /System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle

This has worked for me and others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates to this issue when using OS 10.11.4 and the latest Java 8 update 77 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines