• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Illustrator requires Preferececes folder to be "Read-Write" in order to open...but it is!!!!

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded/installed Illustrator.  Trying to open it and getting the error message from above ("Preferences folder needs to be "read-write" but currently is "read-only").  Followed all the steps from Adobe's help page to manually set the all the listed folders to be 'read-write'.  They now all are (including a few more that I set to that for good measure...).  I've restarted the computer several times, checked and double checked that the permissions stayed that way.  I've done everything the help page says to do but it still won't open!!  (Running most current version of OS Big Sur.) 

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 11.58.44 AM.png

 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Mentor , Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Not sure if this will help but did you go to "command I" and change the file to open with Illustrator and check to make sure that the permissions do read as "read-write."

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 12.38.24 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. I see you've followed the troubleshooting which didn't help. I agree with @Kat Gilbert here. You may connect with Adobe technical support. Please click on the chat icon at the bottom of the page to begin the conversation. Team here will be able to help you remotely on  a live session.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this will help but did you go to "command I" and change the file to open with Illustrator and check to make sure that the permissions do read as "read-write."

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 12.38.24 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kat!  Actually, it's not a file that won't open, it's Illustrator itself. For instance, if I go to applications and select it, then it fails to launch and gives me the error message.  So, I can't even create a new illustration because the program won't even open.  Don't know if it helps but I'm not having the same issue with Photoshop, that one launches just fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then try this- click and hold on the Ai icon and go to "Options" and choose "Show in Finder":

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 12.31.23 PM.png

When window opens in finder check to see if you have custom access- unlock and change if not so:

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 12.31.49 PM.png

I am also on the latest version of Big Sur and there are no issues for me. I hope this helps and if not please ding back here and we'll try another route....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If these are the steps that you tried and it didn't work then I would uninstall and reinstall the app. The Ai that I had on my desktop is not the latest release as I test Ai through Adobe. I am now downloading to see if I run into any of the issues you are seeing. Will post back here when completed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloaded and opened with no issues so.... There is a glitch somewhere!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact issue. All of my permissions are read-write. I MEAN ALL OF THEM. Even my system admin cannot figure it out. And of course, I cannot get help from Adobe. They had to remote in last time this happened and now that isn't possible.  Beyond frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay....  I went back and deleted/reinstalled it like you suggested, with no improvement (I'll attach the screenshot I get, which is pretty much identical to the one you showed)  So, that makes about three times now of deleting/reinstalling with no change. 

I wonder if the root of this lies with the fact that in addition to running the latest version of Big Sur, I also have the newest version of the mac, with the new M1 chip.  Could that be contributing to this? 

Thanks again for all the help!

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 8.06.54 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these screen shots are showing the permissions on preferences. The are all showing permissions oni the application, which doesn't seem relevant. Perhaps some people at least are not looking in the right place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For preferences, the folder it needs might be the one at Username/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator Settings... rather than the app package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be there, or it might be in ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe. I'd hope people are checking all permissions on all files and subfolders in both places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the original post, I mentioned that I already set all the permissions for the Preferences folder, as well as the Application Support folder to Read & Write (and a bunch more folders for good measure...).  That's where I started this whole process because the error message links to a help page that outlines those two places.  Since that didn't work, that's where the rest of this thread came from.  Does that help clarify?  Or perhaps spark more ideas about what might be going on?

Thanks for the continued help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only to check you did all the subfolders too. Maybe screen shots of that. The discussion seemed to be diverted into talking about the app - which should absolutely NOT be read/write, and I was trying to get it back on the target.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that no solution has been found for you. I did more research this morning and found nothing that would help. Do you have TechTools or another program that you use to check your system? If so I would run that and see if anything could be found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. I see you've followed the troubleshooting which didn't help. I agree with @Kat Gilbert here. You may connect with Adobe technical support. Please click on the chat icon at the bottom of the page to begin the conversation. Team here will be able to help you remotely on  a live session.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines