Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'adobe photoshop clip image is too big to be exported'

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I saw on the Photoshop forum someone was asking about this issue, but hadn't been answered in the last few months, so I thought I would try here as I seem to be having the same issue.

For reference: https://community.adobe.com/t5/Photoshop/HELP-Photoshop-CC-20-0-3-quot-Adobe-Photoshop-clip-Image-is...

When copying+pasting a large image out of Photoshop and in to Illustrator I get the error message  'adobe photoshop clip image is too big to be exported'. I have a high-end Windows 10 PC running PS and AI 2020, PS has been set to use more than 20GB of available RAM and both programs have been given access to scratch disks with plenty of space.

As walterb5038854 notes in his own forum post, 3620x3620 is the maximum size I can copy and paste in to Illustrator without getting the error message. I have attempted to untick 'Export Clipboard' in Photoshop's Preferences > General and this just stopped me copying and pasting, no improvement whatsoever.

Hopefully someone can help with this!?

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

I recently ran into this problem and unchecking 'Export Clipboard" did not work. What did work, however, was simply dragging and dropping the selected item from photoshop to illustrator. I have not recieved the pop up after using this method on multiple image sizes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this issue - can find no solution online despite two threads on it - what's going on here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just Place it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this equivelant functionality and convenience? If you're alt-tabbing between PS and AI and copy/pasting between the two, whcih I frequently need to at print scales - then I'm not sure it is, unless you can shed some light.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be easier to copy and paste, but you will not lose anything with placing instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing as I have 64GB ram available - it should be fairly elementary to copy paste large file sizes between software of the same developer without hinderance - without an unexplained resolution cap of 3620 pixels.

I don't really see your point of 'do it a less convienient longer way that removes the advantage of the thing you are asking for'- the feature of PS to AI copy/paste is there, it has a seemingly overlooked physical limit applied which my system exceeds the requirements for - I'm asking for this to be fixed. 

At a guess I wonder if this cap was applied at an earlier V number to address older systems crashing, but as stated, this isn't a problem now.

I've explained why I don't want to/why it is not useful to me to use place instead. Re-iterating to me that place exists isn't in any way helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make a feature request here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this ever been resolved? As someone who is frequently trading between programs this is an infuriating bug with a seemingly elementry fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding my comment so that this thread gets more visibility. This bothers me to no end as well. It is possible to add to the library then do it from there but as you said in a different comment, it's not as convenient as copy and paste. All this effort into making workflow as efficient as possible and then there's this arbitrary limitation just seemingly being ignored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Since I didn't copy from Photoshop to another Adobe program, but rather Krita (I later tried it with Discord and other applications) I didn't even get an error message and spend about an hour searching the web for a fix. I don't understand this "feature", since all other programs I tried handle copy and pasting large images even on my somewhat old computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been having this issue as well between Photoshop and Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone shed light on why pasting between apps that support live link updating is a good practice?

I've always placed any art in ID or AI, any changes the placed file gets are automagically updated in the app they are placed in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I usually do this. But there are times where I want to speedily paste an image from Photoshop into Illustrator just to get a quick look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recently ran into this problem and unchecking 'Export Clipboard" did not work. What did work, however, was simply dragging and dropping the selected item from photoshop to illustrator. I have not recieved the pop up after using this method on multiple image sizes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines