• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator is crashing on M1 Mac (macOS Big Sur)

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Illustrator on a new Macbook Pro with M1 apple silicon. While using the software it often starts to randomly freeze and after a few minutes everything works again. Sometimes the whole mac is frozen for several minutes and Illustrator crashes completely. Not seeing anyone eelse reproting the problem und no issue desiriped my adobe on the M1 side i was wondering what could be rhe reason for this problem. Thank you!

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Hi all,

We have recently released an update for Illustrator 2021 (v 25.3.1) which is compatible with Apple Silicon & contains multiple bug fixes. Please follow the steps shared here to update your app.

For more information about this release, please check out this help article.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 157 Replies 157
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Please ignore my post. I was using an office mac mini and it showed a beta app, I installed it worked amazing. But it turned out the mac I was working on at that moment was Intel. Sorry folks, here is a screenshot of the same. I have uninstalled it. 

Screenshot 2020-12-27 at 11.21.46 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... same here, since first day, all fresh installed, and the worst performance ever, total crash (i had to restart), beachballs everywhere (not only in adobe apps).... i hope the problem comes from adobe apps, or at least the rosetta emulator... i hope this fix soon cause i need this machine to work every day, and my 2012 MBP stills better than this.

Gonna try the GPU unchecked solutions from this great people here, in illlustrator and in indesign... in Phosothsop i have to do something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have same problem. They still don't have an M1 version out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with InDesign. Haven't used much of Illustrator on an M1. But Photoshop has rendering issues as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign and Photoshop have been working fine on my M1 Macbook Pro with 16Gb ram. I was having problems with Illustrator but turning off the GPU and not using iCloud helped and now I am able to use Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have the exact same problem with my Mackbook Pro with M1.

Macbook pro M1 is Not compatible with Adobe Illustrator.

I had Adobe rep remote access my comp and we tried everything. to make story short, the Adobe representative said, the engineers are working hard to fix the problem, but for now the Adobe Illustrator will have problems with M1 because it is NOT compatible with Mackbook pro M1. If you are using Adobe for work, DO NOT buy Macbook with M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's January 5 and I have the same issue. I'm about to take my Macbook to technical support at Apple. Did you guys solve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe just released an update for their intel version of illustrator. I wonder if it will help at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I just did the same thing yesterday, but at the Apple support they confirm that it's an Adobe problem, they stressed the computer with native programs and it worked fine even if I was so scarred because my monitor glitched when I was using illustrator. I'm so frustrated I need this program for work and I just would like to know when Adobe has the intention to release an update for our Macs :ccc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had the same poroblem this days with my new mac. I uninstalled the new version, installed the old one, and then install again the new one and now it seems to work fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same issue. Illustrator as well as Indesign both apps has the same bug. Completely freezing computer after a few minutes everything working fine but once time computer restarted by self... Very annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I'm returning my MacBook Pro with M1 and buying the latest Macbook with Intel processor. I don't want to keep on paying the price of being an early adopter. Adobe doesn't even set expectations about the compatible M1 Illustrator's release, and I have deadlines to meet. There's a lack of transparency from Adobe whit its users, and Apple is clueless about what to do. I'm very disappointed with both companies. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. As of now, Illustrator on M1 devices doesn't work natively, but it runs using Apple's Rosetta 2 technology. For more details, please take a look at this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html).

We have tried to fix performance related issues in our latest update for Illustrator 2021 (v 25.1). If you are not already on v25.1, then we recommend you to update to latest version and let us know how it goes.

If you are still facing crash or performance related issues on M1 machines, please create a new thread or send us a DM, we'd be happy to help. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Srishti

That recent Illustrator 25.1 update fixed all these critical issues here for me on Mac Mini M1 and Macbook Air M1. Feels almost like native 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Kann ich mir jetzt ruhigen Gewissens de mac mini m1 bestellen? Da ich in der letzten Meinung eines Users gelesen habe das alles funktionieren soll. Wäre sehr dankbar für eine schnell Meldung 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Eric, also ich hab nach dem letzten Update weniger Probleme. Es erreicht leistungsmäßig keine neuen Welten, aber läuft bisher recht flüssig. Ich war sehr enttäuscht von der späten Reaktion von Adobes Seite, erst recht in Anbetracht dessen, dass zB Affinity es anscheinend sehr gut hinbekommen hat seit Tag 1. Aber Photoshop und Illustrator laufen gut, InDesign (was ich am meisten verwende) ist immer noch ein Krampf. Bin im übrigen recht zufrieden mit dem MacMini, erst recht im Preisvergleich.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After istalling the update thing got a lot more stable. Still not as snappy as I had hoped, but at least I can get working with the GPU settings turned on, without my mac freezing up. 

Greertings

Vincent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure whats going on but everything is slow and i returned the macbook already and tried a whole new system. rests, updated. everything. why is it like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. As of now, Illustrator (or other Adobe CC apps) on M1 devices doesn't work natively, but it runs using Apple's Rosetta 2 technology which may cause few performance issues. For more details, please take a look at this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html).

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Photoshop and Illustrator is impossible on the Macbook M1! I obviously new there would be issues running the software but I assumed Rosetta would make it bareable! 

It is completely unusable, constant crashes and restarts! Will the constant force quits and reboots damage the Macbook? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry about this trouble this issue has caused. As of now, Illustrator on M1 devices doesn't work natively, but it runs using Apple's Rosetta 2 technology which may cause few performance issues. For more details, please take a look at this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html).

We have recently released an update for Illustrator 2021 (v 25.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on v25.1, then we recommend you to update to latest version and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer is mac book pro 2020 and new. I can't work in Adobe illustrator. My computer stop to work when I have a any command and i have to wait. I have a lots of work have to finish. 

{Renamed by MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it an M1 machine?

In that case please search for the threads about that issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines