• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advanced tools greyed out and not available in Illustrator CC 2019

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated my Illustrator CC 2019, and can't use any Advanced Tools. All of the tools in the fly-out are greyed out, and I can't click/access any of them. See screenshot. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Illustrator CC 2019, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

illustrator-screenshot.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This means that the tools are already contained in your current toolbar setup. They are just hidden below other tools. Press and hold those tools and you will see a popup with the other tools. Documentation: How to work with tools in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did not work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going into window and then select advanced toolbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legally blind user here. Your directive to "read the documentation" is not kind or helpful. The documentation is not accessible. A very tiny icon is shown for the tool. The keyboard shortcut is not given in the documentation. For example, it says here in the offical docs to "Select the shear tool" with a horrible little icon that is not even retina-optimized so it can be zoomed without blurring: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/scaling-shearing-distorting-objects.html. In fact, why does Adobe not use vector icons in its documentation? But more fundamentally, why is there no keyboard shortcut listed? Well, maybe its because there IS NO KEYBOARD SHORTCUT! You can hit S for scale, but not go into shear with the same key, like with other tools. Additionally, yes, they are grayed out in the selection menu... which is a terrible experience for visually impaired screen magnifier users who depend on menus because we just can't see the nuanced little Adobe icons well at all, and the user interface can't even be enlarged. So please be careful when telling people to just, "read the documentation," that directive does not show empathy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So please be careful when telling people to just, "read the documentation," that directive does not show empathy."

The documentation has explanation in text, it has images and even videos. It's more extensive than what can be provided in a forum. So why not point to it, because that is the reason for its existence.

I'm sorry the documentation doesn't work for you personally, but if you want Adobe to improve their accessibility, then please make a feature request, because most people on the forums are not even staff and cannot change anything on this web site, in the documentation or in the application (you can recognize staff by the remark "Staff" next to their avatar - everyone else in this forum takes part in their spare time).

As for the shortcuts, you can configure them to your need in Edit > Edit shortcuts.

You can make feature requests in http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, the documentation has obviously not worked for other people either. No, it is not just me, "personally." Why would people be asking on this forum for help if the documentation was adequate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I had this problem just now with the latest update for 2020 - everything was greyed out in the addiotnal toolbars,  i managed to get round it by chosing basic and then back to advanced again, then i dragged the one i wanted into the toolbar

it was all fine the other day, not sure what the update did to change anything but hope this helps 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same situation.  Switched to basic and the pencil tool became available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did not work for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also solved the same issue for me. Thanks for posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines