• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advice on how to achieve a certain effect of a stroke

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  So here's what I'm trying to do. I'm making a Loch Ness monster. Down along its back I want to have a series of globular fins running from head to tail (basically an oval that tapers then widens back into the back. Like a stretchy glob) 

I'd like the fins to follow the back, start small, get  bigger in the middle, then get smaller again at the tail. Basically think stegosaurus, but globbier. I've made the shape I'd like them to be, and tried making it a pattern brush as well as a scatter brush, but nothing seems to be achieving what I want 

the pattern brush just makes them one size, and spaced exactly the same. The scatter brush kinda does the same thing. I've tried changing the spacing size and rotation on it to "bearing"thinking it would then follow the path and I hoped do what I want,  but it seems to do nothibg 

any advice would be greatly appreciated 

9485B903-02E2-45D8-978E-B4EDC7D533CF.jpeg

 

[ attachment inserted as inline image by moderator ]

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pen tool, trace a stegosaurus, and draw the lines. use layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The stegosaurus was more of a rough example of how I want the fins to follow a path and get wider, then smaller 

The actual creature I'm working on is far more snakelike and has a lot more curves 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the width tool will allow you to make lines wider and achieve more custom look to your lines.

want to show some screenshots as you go, we can advice you more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The width tool! That may be exactly the solution I need. I should have thought of that

I'm at work at the moment and away from my computer, but I'm looking forward to trying that as soon as I get gone, and I'll def send some screenshots later tonight 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show your original monster and perhaps a sketch that may explain the desired result?

Also, which version of Illustrator are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can def do that when I get home. A few others have suggested the width tool, which may be the easiest way 

not sure the exact version, but I can check that too 

i did have some success by using a pattern brush, changing the spacing and size and then extracting and resizing everything by hand, but the width tool may be much more efficient 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how about pattern brush with width tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may be exactly the thing I need to do. I totally forgot about the width tool

will try that as soon as I get home

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

problem i personally have with a patter brush is that its a pattern... so your eye quickly will figure out the repetition. versus i like making it look hand made with no pattern... more freehand.

is that what you are after, to make it look like its hand drawn? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could perhaps make them into a symbol, then place them (not spray them) one by one, and size and rotate as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

for main stroke you can try two ways:

stroke panel

round cap and navigate the profile options.

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.09.53 AM.png

or brushes panel try the round brush or oval with small width.

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.10.31 AM.png

for inside lines try to draw some lines 

draf them to the brushes panel, choose art brush

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.12.16 AM.png

then with brush tool choose the brush you have created and make the inside lines.

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.13.55 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines