• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After installing El Capitan, right click does not work in Illustrator.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing El Capitan, right click does not work in Illustrator. Works in Photoshop. I've restarted with no luck. Seems minor but turning into a serious productivity issue.

Anyone else having this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Hello,

We have fixed this issue in our latest CC 2015.2 update. Please apply the patch using Adobe Creative Cloud application.

If you do not see the patch right away

1. Go to Adobe Creative Cloud application
  2. Click on the Gear icon on the top right
  3. From the menu select “Check for App Updates”

Regards,

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me.

Illustrator CC 19.1.0 on MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) with 27" Thunderbolt Display, OSX El Capitan 10.11.1

Right click is not working. It works fine when using only the laptop screen.

From other posts it sounds like re-installing OSX clean doesn't work and not using an external monitor isn't a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone find a fix to this dual monitor issue yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 2 months since this issue was raised - Adobe should be embarrassed for not even responding. I assume at least half the users are for business, meaning they use the product daily, at a loss of productivity, an addition of stress, and feeling completely failed and ignored by Adobe. Even a "hey, we're working on this, we know it's an issue and annoying, but we'll check in soon to provide an ETA or status update." is better than - did you try wasting hours of your day reinstalling your operating system, adobe and then finding out it was all for nothing. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed Armando. Adobe keeps investing resources on iPad apps nobody uses instead of solving current problems on the most used software by pros.

No wonder so many people are moving to Affinity software for design work, at least on OSX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same bug. (OS updated).

2 screens -> bug

1 screen -> it's ok for right-click

Adobe becomes really shitty, and unprofessional.

(Sorry for my english.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@everyone, there are (at least) 2 band aids to this issue that work. I have tried both and now prefer the 2nd option below.

The first fix is thanks to @james pageau* for coming up with the automator fix described here:

Re: El Capitan update seems to have broken my right click just in Illustrator.... Any help would be ...

The second fix is thanks to @display:none* for coming up with a much simpler elegant band aid from this post:

Re: El Capitan update seems to have broken my right click just in Illustrator.... Any help would be ...

(*I don't read the entire forum so I'm sorry if I didn't attribute it to the original poster of these band aids)

Hope these steps can help explain the Permissions Fix:

Step 1: quit Adobe Illustrator (19.1.0 as of this post)

Step 2: go to your Library folder in the Finder by holding down the Option key while clicking on the View menu like this:

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 8.14.54 AM.png

Step 3: once the Library window is visible, go to the Preferences folder and click on Adobe Illustrator 19 Settings folder and look for the WSMgrCfg folder

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 8.17.58 AM.png

Step 4: move the FILE (not folder) inside the WSMgrCfg folder with the same name to the trash. Keep the empty folder there.

Step 5: right click the WSMgrCfg folder and click on Get Info (or select the folder and press Command + i)

Step 6: in the Sharing & Permissions section at the bottom, change the Privilege option for your user "___ (Me)" from Read & Write to Read only

Screen-Shot-2015-11-18-at-8.26.41-AM.jpg

Complete: Now when you open Illustrator next, it cannot save a new WSMgrCfg file in the WSMgrCfg folder and you should now get your right click back in Illustrator on El Capitan.

As @display:none notes: "Just remember to change it back to 'Read & Write' once Adobe gets around to publishing a fix..."

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm the second fix by kdsi brings back right click functionality on a second display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this fix, it seems to have worked for me but I haven't tested it for very long. Same problem, right click broken in El Cap. in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also confirm that the fix by kdsi works for me with a second monitor in place. Thank you for posting this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks KDSI!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kdsi/@display:none's fix worked for me too. That should be marked as the correct answer! And come on, Adobe, let's patch this up. (And get rid of the CC Charts button while you're at it since it's no longer supported!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2015 Nov 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G R E A T !

Your second fix works form me, with 2 monitors.

But where is Adobe?

I pay their software and have not yet released an update ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tanks a lot !!!

Tested, and fixed.

Thx thx thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for kdsi‌'s fix working.

OSX 10.11.1 - Illustrator 19.1.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it's working for everyone. Just doing my small part sharing the solution from @display:none from this post below:

Permissions Fix for right click problem in El Capitan and Adobe Illustrator

It's crazy to see this issue still persisting but hope a permanent fix will come from Adobe soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clapping.gif

Works great! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We have fixed this issue in our latest CC 2015.2 update. Please apply the patch using Adobe Creative Cloud application.

If you do not see the patch right away

1. Go to Adobe Creative Cloud application
  2. Click on the Gear icon on the top right
  3. From the menu select “Check for App Updates”

Regards,

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Finally... after 6 months!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed it really.

Doesn't work for me and its not showing any updates due and version shows as 15.0.0.

I've manually checked for updates. Tried logging in and out not change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you didn't update, the issue is temporarily fixed by unplugging your secondary monitor and then the right click functionality will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macbook Pro 10.11.2 (Beta)

Works without any bandaids.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Latest 2015.2.0 release fixes this and I also got a new splash screen. NICE. Good stuff Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Stupid interim solution to keep 3 screens, in preferences place your macbook screen down, its ok for me:

Capture décran 2015-12-04 07.42.25.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2015 Dec 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TURN OFF MIRROR DISPLAY?

It's happening to me as well and I'm using Yosemite (my external monitor wasn't supported in El Capitan so I downgraded) Since turning off the 'mirror display' option I can now right click.  Annoying that I can't right click on mirror display...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 12, 2015 Dec 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated yesterday to 10.11.2 and to Illustrator 19.2.0 which solved the right click problem, but now I have a new bug with the main window not remembering it's default position and getting under the OSX system bar.

I have reported the bug here, but no official answer from Adobe yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines