• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Mac OS 11.0.1 Upgrade (Big Sur), working with Raster images/files results in AI crash

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Symptom: work with multiple raster images in an AI document. Attempt to save the file in .ai format (or other vector formats?). AI crashes near instantaneously. The symptom is consistently repeatable.

Workaround: uncheck "Create PDF Compatible File" on save, which works. This would be great, unless you need this feature. This more than doubled my file size. This workaround is limited two-fold.

I found one other thread about this but it had been locked after only a handful of posts. Adobe?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What did the other thread advise? And did you try that?

There probably is not THE ONE answer to this.

Exactly where doyou save files?

How large are they?

What about file names? How long are they? Any Non-ASCII characters in the file names or the folder names?

Where are the images located?

Did you already turn off "Save in background" in the preferences and does that help?

If you want to talk directly to "Adobe", you need to either contact Customer Care https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

or  post to http://illustrator.uservoice.com 

This forum is 95% not even staff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Thank you for taking the time to thoughtfully reply with your troubleshooting steps.

The primary (if not only?) suggestion in the other thread was what I referenced previously (PDF compatibility).

Save Location: local Solid State Drive (Macbook Pro) AND Synology NAS diskstation (symptom appears in either location).

File Size: Original (worked prior to Big Sur): 54MB; without PDF compatibility, 120MB

File Name: Virtually the same file name in both cases (no special characters)

Image location: Images are embedded in the .AI file

Save in background was on (thank goodness!).

Thank you for advising me about the support options, Monika! It appeared that the other thread had been closed prematurely. I presumed that was at Adobe's discretion.

It would be great if this issue got enough attention in this forum for Adobe to issue a bug fix for it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try and turn off "Save in background". It's known to cause issues for some.

Also: saving to remote locations (such as a NAS) can as well.

There is a setting for optimizing save on network. You can try with and without that as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions, Monika. I'm going to see if I can disable PDF compatibility for the moment in hopes this "bug" gets fixed--or should it be called an incompatibility? Nothing in my environment has changed recently except the Mac OS 10.x to Mac OS 11 upgrade. I work with files like these in the manner I described daily, and this is a new problem.

I appreciate your work in the community!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your kind words.

There have been a few issues reported with Mac OS Big Sur - but it was mostly Illustrator not launching at all. Yours is different because you first updated Illustrator and then the system and also different issues.

Is there text in your file?

Do you also use a font manager such as Suitcase?

In that case you could check if it is still compatible and if all your fonts are still fine. When saving a PDF fonts get embedded. If the handling of fonts on your computer is somewhat disturbed, then issues might happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Yes, text in my file. Happens the same with no text (100% outline) as well.

No font manager.

Also, I've given AI full disk access. And this does not happen when saving to the exact same spot/file name when saving without PDF compatibility. I don't know if some incompatible tmp file is created during the save of a PDF compatible file?

This appears to be the meat and potatoes of the error I'm receiving:

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00007ffeef3fffc8
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [75909]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you also tried to turn off "Save in background" in the Illustrator Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please pardon my slow reply. I've not disabled save-in-background because that feature is the only thing saving my bacon when this issue presents itself. Thank goodness for Save-in-background! However, I do notice that it seems to work normally--for example, it'll tell me if a file I'm working on is so large that Save-in-background has been disabled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the files are very large?

Is the issue now solved?

Please do at least try if Save in background changes something. It's important to rule it out.

And then: Do you have a printer? Illustrator acts weird when there is no printer attached, set up as the default printer and tutned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We have recently released an update for Illustrator 2021 (v 25.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on v25.1, then we recommend you to update to latest version and let us know how it goes.

If that doesn't help, please try the suggestions shared on this page ( https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/how-to-fix-a-crash-and-recover-documents-in-illustrator/t...) and let us know how it goes. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines