Highlighted

.ai and .psd preview on Windows 10

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm currently using a Mac but i will soon be working on PC: I was wondering if it was possible to previex the .psd and .ai files directly in the file explorer of Windows 10, without having to open them in Photoshop or Illustrator (as we can be done on OSX thanks to the spacebar)? It would be a great time saver!

Thank you,

Clara

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Myra_Ferguson | Adobe Community Professional

In the Windows Explorer in Windows 10, you can see previews for a variety of file types by going to the View tab and turning on the Preview pane. You can preview .ai files but not .psd files.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

.ai and .psd preview on Windows 10

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm currently using a Mac but i will soon be working on PC: I was wondering if it was possible to previex the .psd and .ai files directly in the file explorer of Windows 10, without having to open them in Photoshop or Illustrator (as we can be done on OSX thanks to the spacebar)? It would be a great time saver!

Thank you,

Clara

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Myra_Ferguson | Adobe Community Professional

In the Windows Explorer in Windows 10, you can see previews for a variety of file types by going to the View tab and turning on the Preview pane. You can preview .ai files but not .psd files.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 06, 2016 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2016 4
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why can not we see the .psd? When will it be repaired?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 16, 2017 8
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always use Adobe Bridge to accurately preview these files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2016 4
Engaged ,
Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use SageThumbs to preview ai and psd files directly in Windows Explorer. You'll also have to download and install ghostscript as well, but there is a segment further down on the page specifically about which version you need.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2016 1
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'll try this. Thanks a lot for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back in my pre-retirement programming days I created previews for all of our products that would work on Windows.  Why doesn't Adobe supply a previewer with their products?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2018 2
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it is the responsibility of Windows, for example, apple has support for everything, but windows does not.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also think, that this is in the responsibility of Windows, however, Acrobat does provide previews/thumbnails for PDF files (although, you have to turn it on first - by default it's off). So if Microsoft isn't going to solve this, it falls back on the software provider to make their users happy. In the meantime I use Mystic Thumbs, it is an alternative to SageThumbs, which is mentionned above. But on directories with 1000+ files it consumes quite a bit of your pc resources to create the thumbnails. Once they are done, they're cached however.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am not able to preview either .ai or .psd.  Is there a setting that I am missing?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 07, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you tried so far? Did you install SageThumbs oder Mystic Thumbs? If not, you won't see a preview (icon) under any Windows version. If you have installed one of these tools, which one? The default settings of Mystic thumbs show you previews of .ai and .psd files by default and I assume SageThumbs does this as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NetHawk, Re MysticThumbs: https://mysticcoder.net/MysticThumbs What about InDesign and other adobe software? Do you see all thumbnail from other formats when toggleing through placing or viewing like you can on a Mac? Do you feel the software is safe? I work on a governrment PC and cannot find the origin of SageThumbs.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LRS: since there are problems with replying to a reply, I write my answer here.

1. Yes, Indesign previews are available for MysticThumbs: here's a list of all the supported file formats:
    https://mysticcoder.net/MysticThumbsFormats
  2. You see thumbnails from alle the formats in Explorer, you don't have to use the preview, but you can if you want a bigger view
  3. I think the software is safe. But feel free to throw the downloaded file at https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload and test ist against most, if not all popular virus checkers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2020 0