Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AI changing font on opening a document, that was saved in AI

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand what is happening.

I downloaded a type kit, added it to my creative cloud. Produced a whole AI document perfectly. Saved it as an AI PDF and standard .AI file. On opening the document today, all fonts have dropped out. 

If I open either the .AI or PDF on Photoshop, it shows perfectly. As a PDF file on web browser, it shows perfectly, but i don't understand why AI now is dropping all the fonts out. 

If I click on one bit of text, I get 'This text was created in a different version of illustrator', but my Type kit font is showing in the list of fonts available and I have my creative cloud open.

Any help really appreciated!!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the font was embedded in the pdf part and that is what the browser and Photoshop is showing.

Which version did you use to create the document and which version are you using now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your response Ton.

When I open it in Photoshop, I am using the .AI file, and it shows exactly how it should. I I can't understand, how a .AI file is opening fine in Photoshop, but when I open the same file in Illustrator, which is where I created the document, my fonts and some layout has changed. (Shows fine in the .AI recent documents, but moment I open it the font drops out).

My creative cloud is open, and the text I used is showing in active fonts.. I'm so confused!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you saved the Illustrator file, you have saved it with the option "Create PDF Compatible File", otherwise Photoshop cannot open it.

In the PDF part of the file, the font is embedded, that is why Photoshop can show the font (but you will not be able to edit it).

Check if you can load the font in Illustrator with Type > Resolve Missing Fonts... or (if you think it is installed) with Type > Find Font...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to good information shared above, I'd request checking out this help article as well to know more about fonts & troubleshooting.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines