Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AI crashing when trying to select fonts

Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Afternoon,

I'm having a very frustrating time with selecting fonts from the Font Menu in the Character Panel. All I have to do is click the drop down arrow on the Character Panel and 'poof' -crashed. Clicking 'Type' at the top bar to select a font causes immediate crash also.

This just started when I upgraded to Sierra OS. I'm using AI CS5.1

I've searched the forum and tried a couple of 'fixes'. The one fix that helped for 1 single viewing opportunity before the crashing resumed was going to System Prefs > Accessibility > Display and check marking 'Reduce Transparency'. Thought that did it but back to crashing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Go to Preferences, select TYPE and unselect all in there, this worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 is not supported under Sierra. Unfortunately there is a consequence to upgrading to the latest OS while keeping older applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply Bill.

When you say CS5 is not supported, only some of it is not supported? Not sure I completely understand -everything else seems to be working great, even 'smoother' in some instances like pathfinder tools and a few others, in a minimal/not extremely significant way..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody knows to what extent it is supported, because it doesn't get tested anymore.

For some it works, for some it doesn't and nobody knows the reason for it.

If you really want to always use the current operating system, then you will also need to update the applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem, I am using Win 10 pro, however, my office using Win 7 ent, there have no any crash when selecting font. but i dont't want to use win 7 anymore......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences, select TYPE and unselect all in there, this worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you thank you! I am so glad I found this post. It works perfectly after I tried @manoloh50888130's suggestions. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A huge THANK YOU from me, too! This solved the issue. Any idea why????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer, I was having the same issues. In addition my font name were gone.  Idid what you reccommended and it worked I have my font names back and no more crashes. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnakyou! I've been putting up with this for ages, and finally looked for an answer. It worked perfectly. So simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much you save my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, worked beautifully. Thank goodness, otherwise I was stuck with Myriad Pro for the rest of my life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2024 Feb 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me too. Just wish there was a way to preview the font name in the actual font as I scroll down. I'm a dinosaur -- running High Sierra and CS5 on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro in 2024!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I fixed this problem, the solution is delet the incompatible fonts, if you don't know, you can filter it and delet out. Why I have this problem, I believe I copy all of my MacBook 's font to my windows 10 system fonts file folder. Remember, to avoid this problem, please do not copy font from Mac and install the font you use, then you will know with font's uncompetibal. Hopefully can help you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same! My solution was just open creative cloud app, then Illustrator. Leave creative cloud open en try you fonts again. that did it for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines