• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AI File Save As

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In most Adobe products, when you have a file open and then click "save as" and change the name, it typically saves the new file and now the file you have saved is open and you are able to continue working on that file while the orginal file is still saved but no longer open. However, in AI, it does not do that. When you click "Save As" it allows you to rename the project, but it keeps the original working file open. The only way to work on the file that was just "saved as" is to literally open it. 

This is more of an annoyance and discrupts work flow, not necessarily preventing working on the project. Has anyone ever ran into this issue or have a solution for this? Thank you in advance! 

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

@Monika Gause I did a fresh install of AI and now it is working like it should. I should have tried that sooner. I appreciate your responses and willing to help me find a solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us the version and system and also where you save your file and what kind of file has been open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AI 2021 

OS - Big Sur, i7 16GB, 3.1 quad core 

Saving file locally and AI file type. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have an AI file.

And then you save it with a new name.

And then the first file stays open and the new one is gone?

That is how "Save a copy" works.

"Save as" leaves the first file and keeps the new one open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct, but it is not saving as it should when using the "save as" or "save a copy"

Both keep the first file open and the only way to start working on the file that was just "saved as" is to literally open it. It is very strange. I have never has this issue in any other Adobe product and honestly never knew how much I use that until it doesn't work like it does in PS or other Adobe apps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll rephrase the first part to my reply....

It does save a new file, but it isn't open to work on until I open it. Meaning the original file stays in place with the original file name. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Monika Gause I did a fresh install of AI and now it is working like it should. I should have tried that sooner. I appreciate your responses and willing to help me find a solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear you got it sorted out.

Thank you for the added information. Can you please mark your own answer as correct. It will surely help others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines