• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AI files created on a Mac and uploaded to Drop box not visible when downloaded to a PC

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I've recently inherited design files from another designer via a new client. I don't have direct contact with the designer and have only be supplied with Dropbox folder links to where they were storing their AI and Indesign files.

I work on a PC, but have access to an old and very slow Mac. 

When I view the Dropbox link and merge it with my Dropbox account I can see all of the design files in the web browser. However, I don't see anything in my Dropbox sync folders. So I tried downloading them from Dropbox as a work around. No love though, still no files. 

However, if I download them to my Mac, everything is there.

Anyone know why? And how can I get these to open on my PC rather than my frozen molasses speed Mac?

TOPICS
Sync and storage , Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Update: After much fiddling about, I've discovered that this was due to the previous designers file naming convention of including an asterisk for specific files and folders. Asterisks in Windows files do not play nicely.

Easy fix at least lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alllllso. Would love to edit the above slightly but I'm not allowed to apparently. I can definitely spell 'inherited' correctly ::facepalm::

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I fixed "inherited" for you 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is everything OK with your Dropbox account?

The Dropbox app updated? They made some changes to it recently.

Also: is Windows not set to blocking stuff?

PS: You can't edit your posts. Typos happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Regardless of the app, it should show up when I'm physically downloading the files from the web browser. I don't have this issue with files that I create on my old Mac > upload to Dropbox > download to my Windows device. Nor vice versa. So I'm assuming that it's something to do with AI?

My windows machine does indeed download a zipped file, there just isnt anything in it aside from any exisiting file structure in the folder I've selected. Download the same exact thing in mac and all of the AI files are magically there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it doesn't even workwhen downloading with a browser, then the problem can't be with Illustrator.

Can you perhaps askin Windows or Dropbox related forums if there are known issues? What about antivirus?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: After much fiddling about, I've discovered that this was due to the previous designers file naming convention of including an asterisk for specific files and folders. Asterisks in Windows files do not play nicely.

Easy fix at least lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines